Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delay in dns ip searching and solution

Posted by twinclouds 
Delay in dns ip searching and solution
August 25, 2010 06:49PM
I installed Debian, Asterisk, FreePBX, and GV-Sipgate dial out on my Dockstar successfully. I use the defaul ip setting, i.e., dhcp. It in general works fine. However, I did notice that it took a long time when search for the file servers during installation. It also took long time to update the FreePBX modules. It was frustrating but I got by with patience. However, when I tried the GoogleVoice dial out, it get so slow to affect the call reliability. For example, when I call my cell phone from the set up, my cell phone will ring but the calling phone had not set up the ring back yet. I checked CPU and Memory loading and found both are fine. Then I start to suspect that the delay was in searching the DNS ip address.
I did the following experiment. With the default setting, when I ping, e.g., google.com, the delay of send the ping is quite long, about a few seconds. However, the response time was not bad, < 20 ms. Namely there was a long delay between the pings. I then changed the ip setting to static by editing /etc/network/interfaces and added public dns nameservers (I used nameserver 208.67.222.222, nameserver 8.8.8.8) at the top of the file /etc/resolv.conf, with the intention of reducing the time to search dns addresses. (It looks like dhcp cannot handle fixed dns nameserver). This worked out like a charm. The pings goes continuously. Every operation requires dns ip search is much faster and my Google-Sipgate dial out works perfectly now.
My questions are: Is this a problem only I encountered or everyone has the same experience? Is it a bug in the Debian that I installed (Lenny 2.6.34.1) or for all of the versions of Debian?
Please let me know your experience.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.