Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First try woes: Debian on the PogoPlug Pro

Posted by cdlenfert 
Re: First try woes: Debian on the PogoPlug Pro
August 13, 2017 12:08PM
Way harder forehead palm!!!!

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for pointing it out. It all works now.
August 13, 2017 04:31PM
cdlenfert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Way harder forehead palm!!!!
>
> Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for pointing it
> out. It all works now.

Cool!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 14, 2017 11:45AM
Edit: Don't read below (unless you're bored). I was able to restart my router and get the connection working again. Moving on to trying to configure Wifi on the Pogoplug Pro.

When I had things up and running at home I could do ifconfig and get the IPV4 address of my Pogo. After bring it to the office and trying the same, the IPV4 address is not longer listed. I can't find it anywhere.

I did run this command because my MAC address of my ethernet device was not the same as the sticker on the bottom of my Pogo.
fw_setenv ethaddr "XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" #where x's are my ethernet mac address

then saved with fw_saveenv

After a reboot I can see that my changes were applied and saved, but I can't figure out how to get IPV4 (which I need in order to access web interfaces.

Did break something?

edit:
I'm pretty sure the box is not connected to the internet. All attempts to do apt-get fail. I can still SSH using the hostname.local method, but not much else for now.
root@DebianPlugPro2:~# ping www.google.com
ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

Should I remove the ethaddr value in the boot args, and if so how can I remove something? I know how to add or change.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 01:31PM by cdlenfert.
August 16, 2017 10:21AM
bodhi Wrote:
> cdlenfert,
>
> This wifi/ethernet is a common problem with the Po
> go Pro. I'll find the post where you can follow to
> set it up correctly.

On the latest rootfs, uboot, and kernel. I'm unable to get wifi working on the PogoPlug Pro. I tried working through Qui's old guide with some modifications. For some reason I have no SSH access to my Pogo this morning, but once I get it back I'll post the steps and results from what I tried.

In the meantime, any ideas on how to configure the built in wifi would be much appreciated.
August 16, 2017 04:19PM
Here is a Pogo V3 wifi setup example:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044,21638#msg-21638

Note: if you have upgraded to Debian stretch, the wlan0 interface name has changed to wlp0s0.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 05:10PM by bodhi.
August 16, 2017 04:53PM
Thanks! Looks like it's wlp0s0 now

[    2.603220] rt2800pci 0000:00:00.0 wlp0s0: renamed from wlan0

after updating /etc/network/interfaces with the following
auto wlp0s0 
iface wlp0s0 inet dhcp 
wpa-ssid "mywifi" 
wpa-psk "mywifipassword"

and then restarting activating the wifi via:

ifup wlp0s0

I was able to get an IP on the wifi interface, and connect to SMB shares I'm running on the Pogo.

Very slow transfer (can't play a song through VLC without buffering), but it's at least connected and functioning.

Edit: 8/28 - I'll add that after trying to set this up on a new drive with a fresh rootfs I couldn't get wifi to work. The missing pieces was related to firmware not loading for the wireless card (which I could see in dmesg). Doing the following from Qui's blog got it working again.

#Add "non-free" repo
echo "deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free">>/etc/apt/sources.list

#Update repo
apt-get update

#Install required Wi-Fi packages and common non-free Wi-Fi adapter firmware
apt-get install wireless-tools wpasupplicant usbutils firmware-ralink firmware-realtek firmware-atheros

#restart the networking devices (will not break ssh session)
/etc/init.d/networking restart

#check IP of wireless card
ifconfig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2017 01:57PM by cdlenfert.
August 16, 2017 05:19PM
> I was able to get an IP on the wifi interface, and
> connect to SMB shares I'm running on the Pogo.
>
> Very slow transfer (can't play a song through VLC
> without buffering), but it's at least connected an
> d functioning.

Cool! yours will be another example I can bookmark for the Wiki.

The wifi card inside this Pogo V3 is not worth using :) You can get a better card form eBay that will be much better for less than $US 5.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 16, 2017 05:25PM
I think it was an issue with my client machine. At least partially. I changed some network settings and was able to connect to the SMB share and have been streaming a full album without a single buffer. For some basic use, the wifi looks like it's going to be adequate.

Thanks again
August 30, 2017 01:41PM
I am running the latest uBoot and rootfs (Debian 9 Stretch) on my Pogoplug Pro and I'm trying to enable systemd via the following instructions:

A. How to use the uEnv.txt script 

This uEnv.txt script can be used to further customizing u-boot envs without saving to NAND or to boot with a completely different set of u-boot envs. 

Create a text file in /boot directory with the content in the format that u-boot envs are listed. 

------------

Note2: 

To boot with systemd, add this parameter to your u-boot env bootargs. If you are booting with my latest released uboot for OXNAS then use the uEnv.txt capability to do this. See the instruction about uEnvt.txt in that thread. 

init=/bin/systemd

Here's what I have in the uEnv.txt file:

at /boot/uEnv.txt
init=/bin/systemd

cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 mtdparts=41000000.nand:14m(boot),-(data)

After setting up the uEnv.txt file and rebooting I get the following - basically saying it's not active:
pidof systemd && echo "systemd" || echo "other"
other

My Envs
fw_printenv
bootcmd_exec=run load_uimage; if run load_initrd; then if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000; fi; else if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 - 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000; fi; fi
bootcmd=run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset
bootcmd_uenv=run uenv_load; if test $uenv_loaded -eq 1; then run uenv_import; fi
bootdelay=10
bootdev=usb
usb_custom_params=zswap.enabled=1
device=0:1
devices=usb ide
disks=0 1 2 3
ethact=mii0
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
ipaddr=192.168.0.222
serverip=192.168.0.220
dtb_file=/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb
load_dtb=echo loading DTB $dtb_file ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x62c00000 $dtb_file
load_initrd=echo loading uInitrd ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60e00000 /boot/uInitrd
load_uimage=echo loading uImage ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60500000 /boot/uImage
mainlineLinux=yes
mtdids=nand0=41000000.nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=41000000.nand:14m(boot),-(data)
preboot_nc=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
scan_disk=echo running scan_disk ...; scan_done=0; setenv scan_usb "usb start";  setenv scan_ide "ide reset";  setenv scan_mmc "mmc rescan"; for dev in $devices; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo Scan device $dev; run scan_$dev; for disknum in $disks; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo device $dev $disknum:1; if ext2load $dev $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uImage 1; then scan_done=1; echo Found bootable drive on $dev $disknum; setenv device $disknum:1; setenv bootdev $dev; fi; fi; done; fi; done
set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 $mtdparts $custom_params
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
uenv_import=echo importing envs ...; env import -t 0x60500000
uenv_init_devices=setenv init_usb "usb start";  setenv init_ide "ide reset";  setenv init_mmc "mmc rescan"; for devtype in $devices; do run init_$devtype; done;
uenv_load=run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices;  do for disknum in 0; do run uenv_read_disk; done; done;
uenv_read_disk=if test $devtype -eq mmc; then if $devtype part; then run uenv_read;  fi; else if $devtype part $disknum; then run uenv_read; fi;  fi
uenv_read=echo loading envs from $devtype $disknum ...; if load $devtype $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; fi
usb_ready_retry=15
ethaddr=00:00:00:00:00:00

Any idea how I can get systemd set using the uEnv.txt script
August 30, 2017 03:34PM
cdlenfert,

Put this in the uEnv.txt:

custom_params=init=/bin/systemd

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 30, 2017 05:07PM
Thanks bodhi. That did it.

root@debian:~# pidof systemd && echo "systemd" || echo "other"
systemd
September 11, 2018 12:42PM
Had an issue with my original Pogoplug Pro (one that's running an older uBoot and rootfs). I couldn't SSH into it, though it was on the network and I could ping it with a response. As a precaution, before I tried rebooting, I inserted the rootfs USB drive into my Mac (did not initialize) and did a full backup. This seemed to go flawlessly and I've had good luck creating iso backups on my Raspberry Pi SD cards and restoring them. When I tried a hard reboot with only the rootfs USB drive attached (previously I had some boot issues if anything else was plugged in) I could no longer see my Pogoplug Pro on the network, pings fail, and I can no longer SSH into it.

When I mount the rootfs flash drive on my other Pogo Pro, it mounts fine and I can see all of the files. I checked my etc/network/interfaces file and the settings that worked previously to connect to my home wifi are still intact. I'm thinking I'll try the following:

• Connect to ethernet and see if it joins the network
  • Test with a different Pogo Pro's working rootfs drive (it's on a newer kernel, uboot, and rootfs...any reason not to do this?)
  • Create a new rootfs (can I do the latest rootfs even with older uboot envs?)

I think the pogo with boot issues is running the following:

• Debian-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2
  • uboot.2013.10-tld-4.ox820.bodhi.tar

Is there anything else I should try before I hook up the serial console?
September 11, 2018 04:11PM
cdlenfert,

> Create a new rootfs (can I do the latest
> rootfs even with older uboot envs?)

I would do this using the latest rootfs. It should work the same way.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 14, 2018 01:12PM
Update: I was able to get the problematic Pogoplug Pro to connect to the network and get an IP over the Ethernet connection. However still no SSH access. The issue was a failing or corrupt rootfs drive (probably failing hardware). Attempts to reformat the drive failed. I used a new flash drive and installed a fresh rootfs and was good to go again. It worked with my older uBoot and env settings. After getting SSH access back I went ahead and upgraded uBoot, did the patch to get uEnv.txt working, which is how I've updated to using systemd on this Pogo. Thanks bodhi.
September 14, 2018 04:13PM
cdlenfert Wrote:
> Update: I was able to get the problematic Pogoplug
> Pro to connect to the network and get an IP over
> the Ethernet connection. However still no SSH
> access. The issue was a failing or corrupt rootfs
> drive (probably failing hardware). Attempts to
> reformat the drive failed. I used a new flash
> drive and installed a fresh rootfs and was good to
> go again. It worked with my older uBoot and env
> settings. After getting SSH access back I went
> ahead and upgraded uBoot, did the patch to get
> uEnv.txt working, which is how I've updated to
> using systemd on this Pogo. Thanks bodhi.

Cool! I'm glad that was a failing drive and you've figured it out now (not after installing a gazillion packages :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 14, 2018 04:48PM
And thanks to you in my other thread, I now know how to make and restore backups, so the next failure will be a breeze :)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.