Is my dockstar bricked?
June 19, 2011 12:08AM
Newbie here......

My dockstar was running Plugapp without any problems. I tried to install Debian, but got problems today.

I followed shyd's instruction

http://dev.shyd.de/2011/01/seagate-dockstar-debian-squeeze/

Installation went smooth, but after first reboot, things changed.............

Green blinking......then......amber blinking forever......

The Dockstar can be found on my router, same IP address as before, ping works, but putty shows "network error: connection refused".

Same thing happens after I unplug the usb drive.

Anyone has similar experiences? What should I do to with it? Anyone can help please?

Thank you!
rat-netbook
Re: Is my dockstar bricked?
June 19, 2011 04:29AM
Check the Working USB Sticks thread up on top. If this happened after a reboot, I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to a thumbdrive that just doesn't behave well after a warm boot. I'd do a power off and try doing another Debian install on a different thumbdrive and seeing if that one works better.
June 19, 2011 06:11AM
@rat-netbook Thanks for your reply, however, without usb, same thing happens, it means, orange blinks forever and the dockstar would not boot. Anyway, it could obtain ip from router, and ping works.

Any idea about this situation? Thanks again.
June 21, 2011 11:05PM
Things should not be modified without a serial console attached, in my opinion. You can monkey with it all you'd like, attaching a serial console would give you definite answers. That's my suggestion anyway. It'll take some time to acquire parts, but once you can actually see what it's doing, you can resolve it quickly.
June 26, 2011 04:08AM
neutronscott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Things should not be modified without a serial
> console attached, in my opinion. You can monkey
> with it all you'd like, attaching a serial console
> would give you definite answers. That's my
> suggestion anyway. It'll take some time to acquire
> parts, but once you can actually see what it's
> doing, you can resolve it quickly.

Thanks. I've ordered the PL2303 tool kits from ebay, which might be more flexible than a single cable, looking forward to it now......
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.