Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dead Pogoplug Mobile?

Posted by algarcia 
Dead Pogoplug Mobile?
September 17, 2019 03:52PM
I've been happily using my Pogoplug mobile v4 for about two years with an Arch installation I'venever upgraded. Last week I wanted to switch to Debian, pasted some commands I read in this forum and now all is gone to hell and don't really do what to do now.

I have a 500gb drive with a 4GB partition that used to boot Arch and the other partition for files, downloads and serving the files via Samba. However I wanted to make the pogoplug boot from SD instead so I pasted some command I read about in the forum and now I'm unable to boot from that USB, nor the internal system or the Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi either on USB or SD.

I even went and bought a USB to Serial thing, wired everything as I was supposed and get nothing on the screen command (on /dev/ttyUSB0). With the SD I get some green flashing and red amber, with the old drive i get some green flashing and then red flashing. Is it gone?

I've searched for bricked, red flashing, orange light and every combination I've thought of, read a lot, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Re: Dead Pogoplug Mobile?
September 17, 2019 05:26PM
algarcia,

It is very hard to brick this Pogo Mobile. So don't give up!

> I've been happily using my Pogoplug mobile v4 for
> about two years with an Arch installation
> I'venever upgraded.

Do you keep any log that can tell which u-boot version and Arch version was installed at that time? if not, I would guess that since it is only 2 years, that u-boot is quite modern and you can likely recover this box enven without serial console.

> Last week I wanted to switch
> to Debian, pasted some commands I read in this
> forum and now all is gone to hell and don't really
> do what to do now.

Do you keep log of what you did (commands and the output from those)?

> I have a 500gb drive with a 4GB partition that
> used to boot Arch and the other partition for
> files, downloads and serving the files via Samba.
> However I wanted to make the pogoplug boot from SD
> instead so I pasted some command I read about in
> the forum and now I'm unable to boot from that
> USB, nor the internal system or the
> Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi either on
> USB or SD.
>
> I even went and bought a USB to Serial thing,
> wired everything as I was supposed and get nothing
> on the screen command (on /dev/ttyUSB0).

It should work, sometime it is just the wires needed to be crossed (TX to RX, RX to TX) with a certain type of serial module converter. Which model is it?

> With the
> SD I get some green flashing and red amber, with
> the old drive i get some green flashing and then
> red flashing. Is it gone?

Not gone. When it flashes like that, u-boot is running OK. There is something wrong in the environment varibles, so it cannot load the kernel files.

Now the best course is to get serial console working, since you already got one connected. Make sure that you only connect 3 wires: TX, RX, and GND.

On the Linux box that you use to host the USB serial converter, unplug it, and plug it in again. And then

uname -a
dmesg | tail -20

Run the serial command. You should use either picocom or minicom (It is OK to run Windows putty or MAC OS screen, if you need to do that then the uname and dmesg commands above don't apply). I would prefer a Linux box hosting this USB Serial converter, make things much easier.

picocom --b 115200 --f n --p n --d 8 /dev/ttyUSB0'

And post the log of this session here (everything in the Linux terminal)

=====

If for whatever reason, you cannot get serial console working, then we go to plan B. This requires some info from Arch installation procedure that I could get from their website.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
September 17, 2019 10:18PM
Switching Rx to Tx gave me some output, just garbled text but it’s something. This https://photos.app.goo.gl/A49taLn9y6ezUh338 is the interface I’m using. I’ll be posting the log tomorrow, thanks for the support.
December 19, 2020 03:47PM
Last login: Sat Dec 19 18:42:55 on ttys003

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
MacBookPro:~ algarcia$ picocom --b 115200 --f n --p n --d 8 /dev/tty.usbserial
picocom v3.1

port is        : /dev/tty.usbserial
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 115200
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
hangup is      : no
nolock is      : no
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        :
omap is        :
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,
logfile is     : none
initstring     : none
exit_after is  : not set
exit is        : no

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands
Terminal ready
�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������U��������������������������������������������������������������o�����������������������������������������������������������U�������U������￿�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������}��������������U����������������U�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������U����������������U��H������014.07-tld�1 (j�D182014 - 0�259:45)
Pogo0lug V4

roK:  6�}Z�����tݸ�L���~��Ͼ��j��=�������������������������������UU�����������U��U]���UU�����������������������������������������������U�������������������������U���������������������������������o�������������������������������������]9��?w(e�s���5f=�Y����������U�]�����������������������������������������������������������������������������������U��������U��WU��������������U��uU���U��W��U����UW����������UU�����U�]����U�UUU������U��UU�����������������������������������������������������U����U������������������������������u��������������UU����������������������������UU��u�U]}�������������������������������������������U���������������������������������U�UU��������uUU�U�����������������������U�������������������������������������U�UU��UUU�UUu������������������������������������U����������������������������������������������]U�u�U������U���������������������������������������������������������������������������U���U��]����U��������������������������������������������������������������������������U�U����U]���]������������������������������������u�����������������������������������U��������U�����U�����������������������������������������{�}�U���������������������������������������������������U���U�������������U������������U��������������������������������U����������������U�����������������������������������������������������������������������������U��U�UUU�����������������������������������U�����U�U�����UU�������������������U��������u��U�U�Uw�U]����������U������������������������������������������������������������]U�U�������UU���U�����������������������������U����������������������������������������U������UU�������������������������������������������������������������������������ݯr�i�����<�S
                                                                                          ��S,?��-�́�[5z��U]��������U���UW���������������������������U��U����������������������������������������������UU���U��������������������������������������������������U���������������������������������������������������������������������U������������������������������������U������U��������UU���U���������]��������������������������������������������������������U�U��U��������U���������������������������������������������������UUUu�U���������������UUU���U���������������������������������������������������������������������U���������U��������uW��UUU�UUUUU����������������������������������Uu��}�����������������U�UUU�]�����UUU����������������������������������������������������������UU�U�UU���U���]��U��������������������������������������������������U���������������������������U������U�����UWU����]����������������������������������������������������������������������������������U���������U������U���������������������������������������������������������������������U���������������U���������������������������U���{�������������������������������������������������U���������������������U���������������������������������������U�������������������������������U���U�������������������U����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������UU�UUU�U�U��U��U�����������]�U������UU��������������������������������������������������U�U���UU������������������������������U����������������������������������������������������U�UUU�����U�����������������������������������������������������������������������������UU�����������U����U��������������]���������������������������������������������U��������������U������������������������{�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������U�����U��o��������������������������������U��������������U���������������W����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������U���UU������U�������������������������������������U���U���U����������������������U������UUU�U���U����������������U����������������������������������������������������U���U���������U�U�����������������������WU������������������������������������������������������U�U������U���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������o�����U�����������������������������������������U����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������o��������������������/�K
                                                                                                     ���%��5
                                                                                                            Out:  H���|��j�o\�4������T��=�S���=����������������any�Aey8t? stEp autobeo` �0
P/gkv4>
Pogkv4.
~?u/v�>���~o]����roos��R�r��R���?eo�w���������Zo˽� 14.0>>>: U%Bgkt!�LL�	��r����ogt 2�14.0.>>> U-Bփ2 4.>*6|�*�IT�$��0?���`�]
                                                                                                                                   ��'&HL�>;6|��}}���צ��O�0.6>�<�|�h�|H�|vh�&LL|�0>>>||||y|xׅ]��!������^��������^oq�}/�~
                                                                       |]�S!�Q!<|<|||h\|||�t||||l\l|~x|n?v�_={���7~_����|o�����~���v?���{�����||||8||||~
         |||||||
                 ||||||�^o3��~?�]���3�9?^�V|n?t�]���~�]�_|ҽ!^x||||||,t|�,|<|||(||||<BW!||�|��~��vno����|��|���?s�8�?3��~�^�_�^�_�?��~n|~�||�\{�|v��8^��|~|�||~�t|||l|\||~<|��~�<|_�Q!(||i|]p]1��!�
                                                       �}�V�]+�T<||,h\|||(Tt|l|lt	||\|H|||t>����=���_��8���|~���~���o]���|�������!ٱ�TT||||||||ll|l|<|x|x||tT\||||~q��^���_�{��_����!�|�<|h<|||||||<|}|||||||^�_=~�|os�~_����p}���_��_�_={׿�En�o||h|x<t|tT|||(t|
                                                                                                                            (t|||\|\|H|||lvt��|���8_n���~os�=�os�����{?��?s��?����os|��|���~��|��|��x��~@|	��||l\||tk��!��~��n~�|?�|��ov��\���*^�N�,�u
                                                                                                                    |(|||||\|||||ho||||||��!\||||n���?~��?|�_�8���3��]�������~������|os�)|||h|||,tlh|��� |y}||
                                                                |||�||||||||||x|||h�}|||(�(|ܯ!�q�9~�~~�tos��||\{�\~<�x8�<�~l�9_���!||||
                                                                                                                                         ||l��|�������.���~n�|��|��*Ƚ|�����?������k�<t���}��~||||||||)T||x||t|||||t,�o_r����o_���|������|�|�s9^�^�_��n?v�]���!|lx|�x<|	|8||ov,,|||}�|||||<<|h]B<v��|�vo�~����|�_|W^||	||�Tt��T|l|(�|Tx|ll<tv,<|
                                                          |||||l�||ll_n���N�~_�={_��|�W�?��3�-����?s��_���toS� x|\vT\||||v^|	||�!|\||,<|<|T|�\(T|_!���!^������j�׾v�_��1~�� ���!<|
                                                txx||xy|||||||||�ƿ�x�~�_=�}�o_n��ѭ���}�~��]����9~�׸��U@||t||��||�||t|||\|||�|||||<�w�^~lo��?�~{�����|���^���9�9��o_��8�����_._Bl!�ql
                                        ������x��|!���||~tt<||
                                                              T,||k|||�||~(t|�׸�_���8~o��}<�?|\�~|no|n<|
                                                                                                          |lx|?|h||||<|t|||||||�~~
                                                                                                                                  �?��n?_������~?n�_�=�||��!||(||}\\|||||H���������T�yh���Ͻ���v�|1��}��|��~�~�����?s���~�_���~�!||
                                                                                         xl|�<|�?|	�_�__��=�ߡ��=|||||�|l|���c��]������}ܛ����ܱ���������O�	}�|�<|t�?��<�S��~�?��n�}�����w�/�����s��q�q�9#hv
                                                                 xcv7�
                                                                      | �B�#?
                                                                             |�B| B��|[��_u��~�����Us_z��(~���Q������?<���]&�7|
                                                                                                                                  tt H|| B�q1!|�s���^��s���^?�|���~���?|��^�������}��w�����gfG���E��u�ߣ�ߞ����7�������������������������~������������������А���P����������P���������������������������}��ؐ������X���������P��А����'��}����������������}�ۣ�}���w������}�����w�����g�G�������=�������w������������}������?�}w��������w����P����'�}w��]���~���5G�����������~��������7�}��~�w������ݏ~���������������������Ѐ�������������PЄ�������������������������������������Пv�u��}���w���w��}��w�����}��7����ޟ���~�܌������[��А���������А���А\�����P��������P�����������������������Ѐ����5��7c'��~����~�ދ������^ߟ���w����g��}�����c緜������?'������������w�Z�4���7�����������������c�������w�����}����u�gA�����������p������V����p��А�������������������П������~�w��}�������u��=

======
moderator edit: please use code tags (formatted code button) to post log.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 05:00PM by bodhi.
December 19, 2020 04:20PM
That's more or less what I'm getting on picocom or screen, either on OS X or Debian
December 19, 2020 05:05PM
algarcia,

When you see that on serial console, it means the RX is kind of work (it receive some thing). So TX and RX are probably OK. Check the GND wire.

And also try using your fingers or something, very lightly pressing down the 3 wires at the Pogo header during power up.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 19, 2020 05:56PM
You were right, I actually attached the GND to actual ground on the board and finally got a reading

�����

U-Boot 2014.07-tld-1 (Jul 18 2014 - 00:59:45)
Pogoplug V4

SoC: Kirkwood 88F6192_A1
DRAM: 128 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
NAND: 128 MiB
MMC: kwsdio: 0
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: egiga0
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
(Re)start USB...
USB0: USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
## Error: "force_rescue_bootcmd" not defined
## Error: "ubifs_bootcmd" not defined
## Error: "usb_bootcmd" not defined
stopping USB..
mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc info - display info of the current MMC device
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan
mmc part - lists available partition on current mmc device
mmc dev [dev] [part] - show or set current mmc device [partition]
mmc list - lists available devices
mmc setdsr <value> - set DSR register value

mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan
Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

** Bad device mmc 0 **
## Error: "ubifs_bootcmd" not defined
## Error: "usb_bootcmd" not defined
stopping USB..
mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

** Bad device mmc 0 **
Card did not respond to voltage select!
** Bad device mmc 0 **
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
Pogov4>

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

** Bad device mmc 0 **
** Bad device mmc 0 **
Pogov4>
mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan

** Bad device mmc 0 **
** Bad device mmc 0 **
Pogov4>
December 19, 2020 09:16PM
Interrupt serial console at countdown

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
List the envs
printenv

And post the whole serial console log here. Please use code tags (the formatted code button on the top right).

Also list the rootfs that you are using. Is that an Arch rootfs like you mentioned before? or is it the Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 ?

Assuming it is mounted at /media/sdb1
ls -lart /media/sdb1/boot

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 09:17PM by bodhi.
December 19, 2020 10:08PM
Well apparently I did something awful while soldering and now I can't get anything via serial, so any more attempts I guess will result in nothing. The rootfs I had was from an Arch installation I had up and running for about 4-5 years maybe, now I don't have it anymore. My only hope right now is building a usb drive from scratch that magically boots out of that U-Boot 2014.07-tld-1
December 19, 2020 10:34PM
algarcia,

Sounds like you have fried the serial port!

> My only
> hope right now is building a usb drive from
> scratch that magically boots out of that U-Boot
> 2014.07-tld-1

OK. Let me see. I'll go back to that installation instruction and take a look. If you have not changed too many u-boot envs, we can get it to boot a Debian rootfs. And then you can set up netconsole in Debian.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 19, 2020 10:51PM
I’m at the same point I was when I started the thread, the only difference is I know there’s a uboot running and it’s version.
I just tried making a rootfs with alarm and debian, none booted. ext3 thumb drive, did everything in linux following your guide and alarm guide and still the same: LED blinks green for a couple of seconds and then blinks green until i disconnect it.
December 20, 2020 03:15AM
algarcia,

Your u-boot envs are even older than the default envs for 2014.07-tld-1. It means you did not flash the default envs image when you installed 2014.07-tld-1. Your u-boot envs were circa 2011-2012.

And those envs were modified in a way that has messed up booting with USB.

So now, since serial console is not working, the only way you can boot is with SD card. And you should use an SD card that is as old as possible (in term of model year) . Micro SD is not as good as regular size SD card for booting.

Create the Debian rootfs on SD card using Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2.

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

And make sure you do Step 4 using the Pogo V4 DTB:

4. Create uImage with embedded DTB for booting with older u-boots (2012 or earlier). Do not do this step if you have installed the latest U-Boot for Kirkwood (or are installing this u-boot at the same time).

Please replace kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb below with the correct DTB name for your box (see the folder /media/sdb1/boot/dts for the exact spelling of your Kirkwood box name).

Generate the uImage with DTB embedded inside:
cd /media/sdb1/boot
cp -a zImage-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1 zImage.fdt
cat boot/dts/kirkwood-pogoplug_v4.dtb >> zImage.fdt
mv uImage uImage.orig
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1 -d zImage.fdt uImage
sync

Plug in the SD card rootfs, and power up. Observe and record the LEDs behavior.

Let's me know how it goes.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 21, 2020 06:20PM
After following these steps I had a different outcome: Blinking green for a few seconds and the steady orange. That's some difference!
December 21, 2020 09:20PM
Well I tried with two different 4GB SD cards, both of them are from old cameras. Both formatted to ext3 via gparted and did the procedure described, twice with Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi and once with Debian-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi and the results have been the same: led blinking green for about 10 seconds and then steady orange or yellowish. In neither case had I been able to ping it or SSH. I'm certain "something" has happened, I'm not sure what, but at least is not blinking red as before.
December 21, 2020 11:10PM
algarcia,

> Both formatted to
> ext3 via gparted

Don't use gparted. Use fdisk at command line.

And also did you use a USB adapter? It is best to format the card in an SD slot if you can.

> In neither case had I been able to ping
> it or SSH. I'm certain "something" has happened,
> I'm not sure what, but at least is not blinking
> red as before.

Before it could not initialize the SD card so the LED was blinking red.

> the results have been the same: led blinking green
> for about 10 seconds and then steady orange or
> yellowish.

Now it has initialized the SD card, but could not read the kernel files. So the LED is steady orange.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.