Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unbricking Dockstar

Posted by lunde 
Unbricking Dockstar
September 11, 2022 01:22PM
Hi,

I recently dug up an old Dockstar device, still in original packaging.
Unfortunately, it does not boot any more. The device gets stuck in U-boot and using a serial cable, I could see that the kernel it tries to load from flash has a checksum error.

I tried several ways to get into a Linux environment to be able to flash a newer U-boot, but none has worked, yet.
I tried:
- Downloading a newer U-boot to chain load (uboot.2017.07-tld-1.dockstar.mtd0.kwb)
-> fails with no output after 'go 800200'

- Downloading kernel and ramdisk created from 5.19.2-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi, using original /dev/mtdblock2 as rootfs
-> Kernel starts, but rootfs can't be mounted (no driver)

- Downloading kernel and ramdisk created from 5.19.2-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi, using original /dev/sda1 (USB) as rootfs
-> Kernel starts, but rootfs can't be mounted (device not found)

I'm hesitating to just flash the above U-boot to mtd0, as it doesn't start when chain loading.

Any ideas how to bring my Dockstar back from zombie land?

Thanks
Tom
Re: Unbricking Dockstar
September 11, 2022 03:38PM
lunde,

> I'm hesitating to just flash the above U-boot to
> mtd0, as it doesn't start when chain loading.

Chainload from stock u-boot does not work for any new u-boot built from the mainline tree about and after 2012, due to some architectural change in u-boot. And chainloading was not really supported by u-boot mainline before that, it was just a hack that works. OTOH, you can chainload a really old u-boot from the latest u-boot.

You don't need to flash new u-boot to rescue this semi-bricked Dockstar. Create a new USB rootfs using Debian-5.13.6-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 (26 Sept 2021)

And then see here for how to boot it with stock u-boot.

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,102054,105374#msg-105374

Note: don't save the envs until you can boot the USB rootfs a few times.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.