Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to update kernel on Wd EX2 Ultra? (Debian uImage and uRamdisk flashed)

Posted by marcexeu 
How to update kernel on Wd EX2 Ultra? (Debian uImage and uRamdisk flashed)
January 17, 2023 12:43PM
Hi all, i had modded my Western Digital device with the following guide some time ago:

https://wd.hides.su/wdnas.el8.website/WDMyCloud-Ex2-Ultra/Debian-linux_4.14.4/_info_EN.txt

This is using an old kernel 4.15.0-rc6 and i would like to update it

Any tips or suggestions???
Since the kernel is on the device itself and not the hdd, updating it via shell does not work (i can update it but there is no GRUB to point to the updated kernel), so i think i heed to find a new updated uImage and uRamdisk for it?

Thano you all in advance
Re: How to update kernel on Wd EX2 Ultra? (Debian uImage and uRamdisk flashed)
January 17, 2023 02:22PM
marcexeu,

> Since the kernel is on the device itself and not
> the hdd, updating it via shell does not work (i
> can update it but there is no GRUB to point to the
> updated kernel), so i think i heed to find a new
> updated uImage and uRamdisk for it?

This box has been worked on. You can install Debian-5.13.8-mvebu-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 on USB rootfs and try it out.

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,32146

Credits
- Thanks vzhilov, dtd.2512, CyberPK, mcmg2 for the works in testing to finalize the DTS for the WD MyCloud Ex2 Ultra. And Storm for the finding about MBR vs GPT for the WD MyCloud Ex2 here.. Thanks i5Js for testing and finding some quirks about the WD MyCloud Ex2 Ultra that nobody has encountered before.

Look at i5Js's thread (but be extra careful about the part about serial console, don't ever connect 3V power pin if you don't have to).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: How to update kernel on Wd EX2 Ultra? (Debian uImage and uRamdisk flashed)
January 18, 2023 03:51AM
Thank you, i see that the topic is covering updating the firmware for roots on a USB drive, my current setup uses a rootfs on the

mount /dev/md1 /mnt/root

Are you aware if i can adapt it to work on my setup?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2023 04:01AM by marcexeu.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.