Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marvell Sheevaplug boards variants

Posted by bodhi 
Marvell Sheevaplug boards variants
November 03, 2023 07:59PM
Anybody has high-resolution boards pics for the Sheevaplug?

I'd like to take a look to see the LAN chip marking. Does your Sheevaplug show 88e1116R ?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2023 03:09PM by bodhi.
Re: Sheevaplug board pics
November 03, 2023 08:10PM
I'll have to dig around for them, but I have two different AppNeta devices that are re-labeled GlobalScale Sheevaplugs. I created the WikiDevi pages AppNeta PathView microAppliance PS310 and AppNeta PathView microAppliance m20 by actually opening up the devices, so the listed ETH chip2: Marvell 88E1116R is the actual PHY chip on the board. If I come across one of the devices in the next few days I will update the WikiDevi page by adding photos.

Tsy
November 03, 2023 09:31PM
Ray,

> I'll have to dig around for them, but I have two
> different AppNeta devices that are re-labeled
> GlobalScale Sheevaplugs. I created the WikiDevi
> pages
> AppNeta
> PathView microAppliance PS310
and
> AppNeta
> PathView microAppliance m20
by actually
> opening up the devices, so the listed ETH chip2:
> Marvell 88E1116R is the actual PHY chip on the
> board.

Thanks for confirming the 88E1116R info!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 04, 2023 08:57AM
November 04, 2023 01:31PM
daviddyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Found one high resolution pic here. The author
> also labeled the chips.
>
> https://www.jeremycole.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sheevaplug_motherboard_front.jpg
>
> https://www.jeremycole.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sheevaplug_motherboard_back.jpg

Thanks David!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 04, 2023 03:08PM
OK so far I've identified 3 variants of the orginal Sheevaplugs. Note that the eSATA Sheevaplug is another major model variant that's not listed here.

1st variant: was produced originally with BootROM 1.1x, which does not work with kwboot. This has the 88E1116R Ethernet chip. This has lower serial number SPO such as SPO-900-xxxxxx. For sure, a lower serial number indicates it is this variant.

2nd variant: was produced later, with BootROM 1.1x, which does not work with kwboot. This has the 88E1121R Ethernet chip. Not sure when it starts, but a hint is right around the serial number SPO-1050-xxxxxx. If the serial number is lower than SPO-1500 but greater than SPO-900, chance is that it is this variant.

3nd variant: was produced later, with BootROM 1.2x, which supports kwboot correctly. This has the 88E1318R Ethernet chip. Not sure when it starts, but a hint is right around the serial number SPO-1500-xxxxxx. If the serial number is high, chance is that it is this variant.

Currently, it seems the latest u-boot circa 2023 code has problem with Ethernet when running on the 2nd variant of the original Sheevaplugs (but not with the 3rd variant, or the 1st variant). My downstream released 2017.07 version is working fine for all three.

Since u-boot Marvell Ethernet drivers (in general) had a major retructuring effort from 2017.07 to 2023.10, it might be that it has introduced a bug, and I've only tested mainline u-boot with the 2nd and 3rd variant!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2023 02:07PM by bodhi.
November 05, 2023 01:40PM
Ray,

Here is another data point for you to update the WiiDevi pages: my Dreamplug has the 88E1318R network chip (not 88E1116R as said in the WikiDevi).

I think some of the info on WikiDevi about the Kirkwood boxes network chips were extracted from the u-boot code, not from actual inspection of the boards.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 05, 2023 02:01PM
I've updated the post above. Now there are actually 3 variants of the original Sheevaplugs :))

I know it's an old board, and it's all academic. And also we already have a good version that has been working. However, it is useful to find common code bugs in u-boot when more hardware being tested.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 05, 2023 09:59PM
The more accurate entries for the DreamPlug are the ones I created with the actual version number (i.e. GlobalScale DreamPlug V10R1, GlobalScale DreamPlug V12 and GlobalScale DreamPlug V9R1) as I actually do a tear down of the devices when I make an entry on WikiDevi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.