Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not booting off of a WD 3TB drive

Posted by isptrader 
isptrader
Not booting off of a WD 3TB drive
December 14, 2013 09:15PM
I've spent the last few hours, nights, days trying to figure out why my pogoplug will not boot off of a 4gb ext3 partition on a 3 TB wd element drive. I finally gave up and loaded everything on a flash drive and voila.See the netconsole output below. Without the drive attached it boots the pogoplug stuff and I can ssh to it but when booting as below it hangs. Anyone have any ideas? What am I missing?

U-Boot 2011.12 (Feb 20 2012 - 21:21:59)
Pogoplug E02
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 4.4.1
GNU ld (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 2.19.51.20090709
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 10  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0
(Re)start USB...
USB: Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus for storage devices... EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x10008d80
EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x128d80
1 Storage Device(s) found
Loading file "/rescueme" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
Re: Not booting off of a WD 3TB drive
December 14, 2013 09:40PM
Perhaps Bodhi can give a better explanation, but from what I've read here in the past, in disks greater than 2T the number of sectors exceeds what can be represented in a drive's conventional partition table. 3T drives use a different table and one that our current uBoot does not understand. Thus, it cannot boot from a 3T drive, and indeed, even having such a drive connected at boot time will confuse it enough during its USB bus scan (remember, it's still looking through each partition for a bootable image, so it tries to read from every device attached) that it will be unable to even find a bootable image on another device.

The only ways I know to use a 3T drive on these devices are (1) to plug it in after the boot is complete and unplug it before a reboot, or (2) to reformat it as a 2T drive and waste the extra space.

(Admittedly, the above is somewhat dated. If anyone has a more recent take on this, I'd be interested in hearing it.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 09:51PM by restamp.
December 14, 2013 10:51PM
Restamp is right: that the current uBoot does not understand 3TB drive. To use it with this uBoot, one must format it as a hybrid MBR. So 2 partitions, a small one and a larger one. uBoot will only see the 1st one, and the kernel will see both. I guess that's what isptrader tried to do.

The new uBoot I built recently can boot a 3TB GPT drive, but it needs to be flashed manually in Linux or in uBoot command line:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381,12381#msg-12381

isptrader: to make it work with your current uBoot, make sure the drive is setup as hybrid MBR. Some discussion here:
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4967&p=27546&hilit=hybrid+mbr#p27546

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
istprader
December 16, 2013 02:49PM
Thanks for the good info. I was able to boot off of a flash drive and mount the ext3 formatted 3TB drive
without a manual intervention. I don't remember now if I nixed my 4GB boot partition on the big drive or not. I'll give
your uboot a try next week if I didn't dump it. It's gonna take some time to digest those discussions anyway. :-)

-isptrader
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.