Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oxnas U-Boot default environment image

Posted by bodhi 
Oxnas U-Boot default environment image
October 25, 2015 05:08PM
For Oxnas U-Boot in this thread: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017

I've decided to release this envs image early, instead of waiting until the new u-boot version release, as requested by forum members wanting to solve problems with booting in multiple-partition configuration.

This new default envs image now supports booting with multiple disk drives (and hubs) attached. The disk drives could be any type (usb, sata, sd card). The scanning logic and default envs were set to automatically boot the box with the following required configuration:

a. There must be only one partition among all partitions from all drives that contains the kernel files. The 2 kernel files are /boot/uImage and /boot/uInitrd.
b. The partition that contains the 2 kernel files must be partition 1 in a disk drive
c. The partition that contains the rootfs must be labeled rootfs

How to flash and use the new default set of u-boot envs.

1. Download the default u-boot envs at Dropbox:

uboot.2013.10-tld-5.ox820.environment.bodhi.tar
md5
27d246da2a1e84c3d2b46db78f76da65

This tarball includes 2 files:

uboot.2013.10-tld-5.ox820.environment.img (the default envs image to be flashed)
uboot.2013.10-tld-5.ox820.environment (the content of the default envs in text format)

2. Flash new default envs

Please use the same instruction as for uboot.2013.10-tld-4 in step 2 in the Oxnas u-boot thread 1st post. Replace the image name pogopro_uboot_env.img with uboot.2013.10-tld-5.ox820.environment.img where it appears.

3. Adjust the DTB name to boot with a rootfs that has FDT kernel

Find your box DTB file in the rootfs /boot/dts directory and adjust the env to it. For example, if the box is the Pogo Classic V3
fw_setenv dtb_file 'ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb'
Note that the env is already default to the Pogo Pro (no need to perform this step if you have the Pogo Pro V3)

4. Verify the envs were flashed and adjusted OK using fw_printenv to list them.
fw_printenv

If there was error in listing the envs, then don't reboot. Post the problem here so we can help.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Oxnas U-Boot default environment image
November 03, 2020 09:22AM
Hi bodhi, I may have inquired before but have no way to figure this out and I know it is simple. The unit boots up fine and the envs are actually default an working but every now and then I want to look through ssh instead of serial which I have now made an external connection for on all my plugs. As for the issue at hand:

:~# fw_printenv
-bash: fw_printenv: command not found

what are the steps to correct this?
Please help:)

Echowarrior108

device: pogoplug-pro v3

Currently running:
Debian GNU/Linux Bullseye 12-9-22
Linux 5.4.224-oxnas-tld-1 armv6l GNU/Linux 11-27-22
November 03, 2020 03:03PM
echowarrior108,

Install
apt-get install u-boot-tools

And check the config file to make sure it has the right definition

cat /etc/fw_env.config
/dev/mtd0               0x00100000      0x20000         0x20000

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 21, 2020 08:32PM
sorry . got distracted and forgot I posted this here and posted it elsewhere, lol

cat /etc/fw_env.config 
# MTD device name	Device offset	Env. size	Flash sector size	Number of sectors
# pogoplug pro
  /dev/mtd0               0x00100000      0x20000         0x20000

still not working will followup on, https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,111469
thanks!!!

Echowarrior108

device: pogoplug-pro v3

Currently running:
Debian GNU/Linux Bullseye 12-9-22
Linux 5.4.224-oxnas-tld-1 armv6l GNU/Linux 11-27-22
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.