Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Understanding U-Boot Source

Posted by rayknight 
Understanding U-Boot Source
July 12, 2016 12:52AM
I have the U-Boot 1.1.4 source source code for the Cisco ON-100. The documentation says to run the following commands:

make mrproper
make db88f6282bp_config NBOOT=1 DDR=3 FREQ=400
make

I am assuming the db88f6282bp_config is a configuration file I should be able to find somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it! If this is not the case bodhi could you or someone else give me some pointers on how this crazy make system works?

This box has great features for the $12 I paid. 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports one with 802.3af POE, SD Card slot, 1 USB, power switch, 512 MB RAM, 512 MB NAND and a battery backed RTC. Now if I can just figure out why I don't get any serial access and how to get an updated U-Boot I'll be in business! Cisco sent me all source code which includes U-Boot and 2.6.31.8 kernel.
Re: Understanding U-Boot Source
July 12, 2016 03:49AM
> make mrproper
> make db88f6282bp_config NBOOT=1 DDR=3 FREQ=400
> make
>

To understand a specific build system for u-boot source, always start with the ./Makefile and walk down the executed parts. New files are allways created in the top source tree after a "make".

This is how all older u-boots are built (which is now obsolete). There is no db88f6282bp_config file. If you study the ./Makefile, you will find the target db88f6282bp which is used to concat with _config and later used in other created files. So to understand it quickly, you need to search for db88f6282bp occurences in all files in u-boot source tree. And then search for db88f6282bp_config after a make.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.