Re: Bricked NSA320S during 2017.07 flash
June 07, 2020 09:24PM
enki,

> It happened before all of latest DTS/init_sata
> also
with the 2.5'' disk on slot 2 indeed. It
> clicks when BUS1 activates and then after whenever
> it writes on the disk.

That's abnormal. I don't recall anybody has reported this. How old is the 2.5" HDD in the 2nd slot? have you tried swaping these two 1<-->2?

>
> Would it may be a diffrent bit from “Functional
> Specifications for Kirkwood's GPIO Data Out
> Register” to activate BUS1 in a mode which is
> appropiate and silent?

There should not be any click.

U-boot 2017.07-tld-1 activated the GPIO for the second HDD already. That's why you can use the 2.5" HDD. All Kirkwood boxes use the same SATA driver, and all we need to do is to set a GPIO to activate power. This box is GPIO 33 (as I recall from reading the GPL source).

Now with this command, does either of the two 3.5" HDDs making any click sound in Debian when you access them?
setenv init_sata 'mw.l f1010104 c70e0ffd; ide reset'

========

I'll post the envs for you in the next post.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 07, 2020 09:56PM
Note: This mod only should be used for the NAS320S. It does not apply to other Kirkwood boxes.

Asuming the bootcmd env was unchanged from initial installation for U-boot 2017.07-tld-1.
bootcmd=run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset

From power off, press the power button to power up, interrupt serial console and,
setenv init_sata_power 'mw.l f1010104 c70e0ffd'
setenv bootcmd 'run init_sata_power; run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset'
and then
boot

Observe serial console log to see if two 3.5" HDDs were initialized by the kernel (each showing the capacity of the disk). If all went well, log into Debian, and

fw_setenv init_sata_power 'mw.l f1010104 c70e0ffd'
fw_setenv bootcmd 'run init_sata_power; run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset'

Shutdown, and power up again, let it boot automatically , and then verify in Debian that the two HDDs still being initialized by the kernel correctly.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 08, 2020 07:24PM
Bodhi

That's abnormal. I don't recall anybody has reported this. How old is the 2.5" HDD in the 2nd slot? have you tried swaping these two 1<-->2?

I have swapped in between 2.5inch disks as first happened. I completly agree there should be no clicks... It may be something particular with this NAS and more looking into this I start to believe this. I may restore stock software on it just to proove it. I shall ask how to use nandwrite adressess to restore it but after testing.

I shall get back to you later today with results of the latest tests.

Much apreciated
E/
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.