Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Following Jeff's instructions I fail to do the dockstar_config

Posted by David Rao 
I'm following Jeff's instructions as close as possible (http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/build_uboot.htm)
Doing native build on armedslack 13.37 running on a seagate dockstar with jeff's ubooto already installed.
I just wanted to try building my own to include a different setenv to start with.

This is what I get:
root@slackware:/tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09# cat ../general.patch |patch -p1
patching file tools/env/fw_env.c
patching file tools/env/fw_env.config
patching file tools/env/Makefile
root@slackware:/tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09# cat ../mach-dockstar.patch |patch -p1
patching file board/Marvell/dockstar/config.mk
patching file board/Marvell/dockstar/dockstar.c
patching file board/Marvell/dockstar/dockstar.h
patching file board/Marvell/dockstar/kwbimage.cfg
patching file board/Marvell/dockstar/Makefile
patching file include/configs/dockstar.h
root@slackware:/tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09# make distclean
root@slackware:/tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09# make dockstar_config
make: *** No rule to make target `dockstar_config'. Stop.
make: *** [dockstar_config] Error 1
root@slackware:/tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09#

What's up ?
Having a look at latest version )2011.06) I found the following entry in boards.cfg:
dockstar arm arm926ejs - Seagate kirkwood

just after the sheeva entry

Now the patched 2010.09 version does not have board/Seagate but it has dockstar stuff in board/Marvell
so I added an entry like this in boards.cgf:
dockstar arm arm926ejs - Marvell kirkwood

It seems to build now:
make u-boot.kwb
Preparing kirkwood boot image to boot from nand
Nand ECC mode = default
Nand page size = 0x800
Image Type:   Kirkwood Boot from NAND Flash Image
Data Size:    335456 Bytes = 327.59 kB = 0.32 MB
Load Address: 00600000
Entry Point:  00600000
root@slackware:/tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09#

I'll move on to testing the image before flashing.
This is what I get if I try running the image freshly built:
Marvell>> usb start                                                             
(Re)start USB...                                                                
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1                                                
USB EHCI 1.00                                                                   
scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found                               
       scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found            
Marvell>> ext2load usb 0:3 0x800000 tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09/uboot.mtd0.kb
Loading file "tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09/uboot.mtd0.kwb" from usb device 0:)
524288 bytes read                                                               
Marvell>> go 0x800200                                                           
## Starting application at 0x00800200 ...                                       
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Same if I try u-boot.kwb:
Marvell>> ext2load usb 0:3 0x800000 tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09/u-boot.kwb   
Loading file "tmp/clash/build/u-boot-2010.09/u-boot.kwb" from usb device 0:3 (u)
335972 bytes read                                                                                                                                          
Marvell>> go 0x800200                                                           
## Starting application at 0x00800200 ...                                       
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

And nothing better if I try u-boot.bin: does not even show the error just stops after "## Starting application at 0x00800200 ..."

How can I test at least basic functionality ?
Look at this: http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStartedInRAM
If you still want to try your uboot.bin in ram you should use tftp to load the file... like Jeff
But I've already a working version of Jeff's uboot installed that can load from usb ... do I still haveto load from tftp ?
I believe that Jeff's setup looks for the original cold engine's uboot from pogoplug's flash root filesystem and loads it (not via tftp) ... why can I not do do the same from usb with what I just built ?
How can I test out that my build is ok without requiring jtag to restore if something goes wrong ?
Post the sources that you are using and the necessary patches and let somebody try it for you!..

Why do you want to upgrade to a custom uboot? It is really necessary?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.