Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

uBoot serial access

Posted by kraqh3d 
uBoot serial access
July 20, 2011 12:35PM
I was using netconsole to catch the uBoot startup, but now I have a serial cable. My setup is below. It works, but it redirects all output to netconsole. Is there anyway for uBoot to output both to serial and netconsole?

preboot=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;

And if anyone is interested, you can use Windows to access the serial port. I'm using a CA-42 cable which is based of the Prolific PL-2302 chip. I found the Windows driver is at the link below. I'm using Putty. You just need to use the COM port and set the speed to 115200.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31
dpffan
Re: uBoot serial access
July 21, 2011 08:41AM
If ping fails, uboot console will revert to serial. So default console is netconsole.
Re: uBoot serial access
July 21, 2011 10:50AM
I know, but I'm not going to take my linux system offline just for that. :)

After some googling yesterday I found there doesn't be a way to make it output to both at the same time so I added a little work around to change it back. I simply "run serialout" from the Marvell>> prompt to change the output back to serial. (This is from memory. I don't have access at the moment, but it should be correct.)

fw_setenv serialout setenv stdin serial; setenv stdout serial; setenv stderr serial
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.