Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NetConsole with USB cable?

Posted by jussi 
NetConsole with USB cable?
March 29, 2012 02:55PM
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know if netconsole can be used via USB to grab a boot log off of a DockStar? Reason being is that I'm having issues with getting netconsole to work via eithernet. If so, what environment commands do I need to give uBoot and what commands does netconsole need to listen via USB?

Any other ports or configuration suggestions that might work here would be great!

Thanks...

~Jussi~
Re: NetConsole with USB cable?
March 29, 2012 04:01PM
Jussi, netconsole does not use USB at all. I believe you mean "Can I use USB to talk to the hardware console of the Dockstar?" and the answer is yes, if you use a special USB device. The device you want is known as a CA-42 cable and it is sold as an accessory for Nokia phones. It is actually an implementation of a serial port, but using 3.3V signals (if I recall correctly) rather than the conventional serial port voltages. To use this, you'll have to cut off one end of the CA-42 cable and put a header on it so that it can be affixed to the serial port on your Dockstar. You'll have to open your Dockstar to access this port. You can then use a program like "putty" to interact with this port.

There are many posts on how to do this, both in this forum and on the greater Internet -- just Google for them.

The one big advantage of having a real console, as opposed to a netconsole, is that you can indeed see the output of the OS as it boots. Netconsole is confined to the uBoot and you cannot follow the OS boot once control is handed off to it.

Good luck.
Re: NetConsole with USB cable?
March 29, 2012 09:58PM
Restamp,

Thanks for the clarification. I will search for this magical cable you speak of. I would rather go directly to the serial port on the dockstar (did not know it had one) anyways.

Again, thanks.

~Jussi~
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.