Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAS326 how to boot with UART?

Posted by gutek18 
NAS326 how to boot with UART?
June 02, 2019 02:00PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I have a Zyxel NAS326 with a physically damaged NAND memory - it does not save the configuration. I want to buy a new memory, unfortunately I do not have a programmer to program it. That's why I am trying to boot the device via UART.
I'm trying a modified version of kwboot, which should work with the Armada 38x processor: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/4444-solved-kwboot-on-armada-38x/
and the uboot file from this forum: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,27108,31893#msg-31893
I tried UART converters on FTDI, PL2303 and CP2102 chips. Each time loading is interrupted after a few percent, and the device resets.

I attach a screen from the terminal.

Please help. Thank you.
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot_20190523_201313_2067066.png (83.3 KB)
Re: NAS326 how to boot with UART?
June 02, 2019 04:05PM
gutek18,

Unfortunately, I had not been successful in getting kwboot to work on NAS326. And I still look at this issue once a while, but I did not spend much effort on it.

The kwboot you've posted was from hmartin. He and I worked on this issue a while back here. But he use the WD EX2 Ultra EX2100. Eventhough it has the same SoC a38x family, that box behavior is different from the NAS326.

In any case, the u-boot you used from rm's was my rebuild of stock u-boot. That did not work either.

At the moment, I don't have a solution for you. But I do plan to come back to this UART booting issue and try to make it work for NAS326 (I own one). However, I don't know when I can do that.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 02, 2019 10:10PM
gutek18,

I have a Zyxel NAS326 with a physically damaged NAND memory - it does not save the configuration. I want to buy a new memory, unfortunately I do not have a programmer to program it. That's why I am trying to boot the device via UART.

When you said " it does not save the configuration", did you mean the envs cannot be saved?

Can you still boot with u-boot in NAND? for is the whole NAND bad and you can't boot?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 03, 2019 01:25AM
(I write using a translator, I hope that everything will be understandable.)
In my opinion, all memory is damaged. Each time you turn it on, there is information in the log that the "config" partition can not be read. It is formatted and created a new one. Also, once in a while the time after turning on the information about the wrong CRC of the "env" partition appears and is restored to the default.

If I download all mtd partitions using the nanddump command and combine them into one file, will the new memory programmed by the programmer be correct?
On the Internet I can buy a new memory with a programming service, I just need to have the right content.
June 03, 2019 01:56AM
gutek18,

> (I write using a translator, I hope that
> everything will be understandable.)
> In my opinion, all memory is damaged. Each time
> you turn it on, there is information in the log
> that the "config" partition can not be read. It is
> formatted and created a new one. Also, once in a
> while the time after turning on the information
> about the wrong CRC of the "env" partition appears
> and is restored to the default.

Sounds like you can still boot into u-boot. That means u-boot mtd is not damaged.

> If I download all mtd partitions using the
> nanddump command and combine them into one file,
> will the new memory programmed by the programmer
> be correct?

Yes. But your NAND is damaged, your mtds are not good. So the nanddump will not give good images.

> On the Internet I can buy a new memory with a
> programming service, I just need to have the right
> content.

I'll look in my archive for NAS326 stock mtd nanddump backup. So when you ready I'll send you the link to download.

====

Connect serial console, power up and let it boot automatically. And post the entire serial console log here.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 03, 2019 02:05AM
Yes, the device starts. However, each time it starts with factory settings. All settings that are saved in NAND are deleted, e.g. passwords, ip etc.

I have a log saved from the console. After returning from work, I will share it.
June 03, 2019 08:00AM
I am attaching the log from the device start.

Because of accuracy:
- the device started up on the factory NAND Macronix MX30LF2G18AC memory, but errors were created. Thanks to which settings were not saved.
- I bought on the internet a cheap similar Samsung K9F2G08U0C memory along with the programming service. Unfortunately, after replacing the memory, the device DOES NOT BOOT. I get the message "Invalid Header Checksum" on the console. PDF
- that's why I would like to start the device via UART to check if the problem is incorrectly programmed new memory or if it is not supported.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 09:57AM by gutek18.
Attachments:
open | download - putty.log (194.6 KB)
June 03, 2019 09:55AM
gutek18,

I don't think your flash is damaged. Looks like the rootfs image in NAND was corrupted so it was reflashed by their recovery procedure each time. And that's why the settings were gone when you reboot.

You could try to restore the stock FW to factory condition, and that will get you back to normal booting.

Or you could install Debian:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,32146

Zyxel NAS326 Installation: 3rd Update 25 Mar 2017 (added Section C), 2nd Update 18 Feb 2017 (added section B), 1st Update 05 Feb 2017.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 03, 2019 10:00AM
I tried to restore the factory settings and change the software version. I also installed older versions of the firmware using a script from nas-central.
I also formatted the config partition from the uboot.
Unfortunately, it did not help.

I even did an experiment. I inserted the 0xBB content in place of the config partition, and after rebooting the device I downloaded the content. There was a lot of mistakes and only in some places it was correct. That's why I am convinced of the memory damage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 10:04AM by gutek18.
June 03, 2019 10:07AM
> - that's why I would like to start the device via
> UART to check if the problem is incorrectly
> programmed new memory or if it is not supported.

Can you still boot with stock u-boot using the original NAND? does it get you to the u-boot prompt?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 03, 2019 10:19AM
No, I damaged the original NAND during desoldering.
Currently, I have such a message in the console. (soldered Samsung memory)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 10:30AM by gutek18.
Attachments:
open | download - nas326_bad_header.png (72.4 KB)
June 03, 2019 10:30AM
If I turn on the device without a soldered memory, the message in the console is.

That's why I think that the new Samsung memory is seen by the device, but it either can not read it, or it is incorrectly programmed.
Attachments:
open | download - nas326_bez_nand.png (37.1 KB)
June 03, 2019 01:05PM
gutek18 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I turn on the device without a soldered memory,
> the message in the console is.
>
> That's why I think that the new Samsung memory is
> seen by the device, but it either can not read it,
> or it is incorrectly programmed.

Yes indeed. The BootROM detected NAND, but it could not use it. So it fell back to UART.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
June 03, 2019 11:14PM
So, if there is no way to start by UART at the moment, I will buy a new Macronix memory and try, maybe it will work with it.

Thanks for the answers.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.