Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New uBoot for PogoPlug V3 question

Posted by schnee 
New uBoot for PogoPlug V3 question
July 15, 2019 02:24PM
Hi,

i was playing around with the pogoplug V4 in uboot and found the nice sntp (and other) commands to setup time during boot. I tried that on the Pogoplug V3, but the exisiting SATA uboot version does not support these commands.

I looked at https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017,page=1 for creating a new uboot to boot from SATA (not for flashing), but it is not very straight forward for me and i have a few question:

1. Can i compile the uBoot from https://github.com/mibodhi/u-boot-oxnas on any computer or it has to happen on an arm device?
2. Is there any base config where i can start from? If not what should i set in the menu config to compile it for oxnas?
3. As i know by default it creates a flashable image. What do i need to change to get a image usable for SATA boot?

I am pretty new for uBoot maybe there is a good guide for it but i did not find it so far.

Thanks
Re: New uBoot for PogoPlug V3 question
July 15, 2019 11:33PM
schnee,

I'd recommend that you flash the new u-boot for NAND to use SNTP.

SATA-version u-boot is only a rescue mechanism, in case you need to recover and reflash NAND u-boot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 16, 2019 09:50AM
Thanks Bodhi. I understand that it is considered as rescue mechanism, however i am using it in some cases where i was unable to fix the NAND.....

Can you point me to a guide and probably a config example which could help me to start playing around with uboot?

Thanks
July 16, 2019 11:36PM
schnee,

I can't recall where others have, and I have not written any guide about rebuilding this particular u-boot.

BTW, this u-boot is not a good vehicle to learn how to patch and rebuild u-boot. I did my best to track mainline code in uboot.2015.10-tld-2 or OX820 (the latest I released here). However, there are substantial differences from mainline u-boot, so I would not recommend using this souce tree as a guide in learning u-boot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 11:37PM by bodhi.
July 18, 2019 10:28PM
Thanks Bodhi!

i tried compiling your u-boot version. It compiles if it set to nand boot (not tested the result yet), but when i try to build it for SATA i end up with error:

common/built-in.o: In function `initr_ide':
/root/u-boot-oxnas/common/board_r.c:617: undefined reference to `board_start_ide'
ld.bfd: BFD (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.28 assertion fail ../../bfd/elf32-arm.c:9514
Makefile:1173: recipe for target 'u-boot' failed
make: *** [u-boot] Error 1

I will spend some more time on investigating the issue later.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.