Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goflex Home: A new brick?

Posted by dannyboy2322 
Goflex Home: A new brick?
July 21, 2012 11:19PM
Hello,

First off, I am an all around noob to all things linux ( I switched to ubuntu only a few weeks ago). I only took on the project of installing ArchlinuxARM because of the total uselessness of the stock Seagate Dashboard. It was a bit over my head and I may have fumbled my way into a corner.

(The Steps I refer to are those on the ArchlinuxARM website: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-goflex-home)

Here is what I have done:
I went through all of the steps described on the installation page up until step 13: Unmount the drive: cd.. ; umount alarm. At this step I typed "unmount alarm" instead of "umount alarm" (who thought that was a good idea? how hard is it to add an "n"). I did not recognize my error even when it told me that "unmount" was not a recognized command (My thoughts: "Computer, you sooo stupid! Of course it command! hurrduur!!"). I barrelled on through the next steps (they seemed to have the necessary results so the unmount VS umount problem left my mind). All seemed to be a success! I finished the first reboot "housekeeping" without much problem.
Then I realized I could not seem my drive on the network other than through SSH. I could even see it in the WebUI of my router. However, the white light was not lighting up.
At this point I remembered the "unmount" problem. So, I decided to attempt to restart the process. Already having root access i began at step 4 but skipped step 5 (rationalizing " those daemons were probably deleted once I formatted everything" on the wholly insufficient evidence of intuition).
Well, I couldn't get past step 10. I am pretty sure I made an additional partition within the second original partition. At which point I called "mulligans". (I *think* at this point the green light started flashing)
Having what seemed to be no other choice I turned to flash resetting my drive. However when I plugged the flash drive into the Goflex Home (and turned it on) nothing happened other than a continuous blinking green light.

So, any way out of this? Or do I now have a new brick? I posted this on the ArchlinuxARM forums but haven't gotten any help yet. I *think* there still might be a possibility of booting from a flash drive with some other firmware on it.

Many thanks,

--Daniel
Re: Goflex Home: A new brick?
July 22, 2012 12:52PM
Daniel,

You could try to reflash factory firmware:
http://support.goflexhome.hipserv.com/en/reflash/index.html

Once you restore back to the stock FW. The rest is easy, just use Jeff installation script and you will get UBoot and Debian installed.

bodhi
July 22, 2012 04:31PM
Bodhi,

I tried this multiple times, double checking everything. All I get is a quickly flashing green light.

Thanks,

Daniel
July 22, 2012 07:38PM
@Daniel,

Did you get past step 14 in your attempt? If you did not, then the reflashing stock FW should work. It is just a little bit flaky, you could try a different flash drive, and pushing the reset button with a paperclip seems to work well. If you did then how far did you get (i.e. which steps were executed)?

Also, it would be best to keep the log of your installation for future troubleshooting.

-bodhi
July 22, 2012 11:05PM
Bodhi,

The first time through I completed all of the steps (including the ones after the first reboot) except for the step where I had to unmount alarm (where, after it told me "unmount" is not a command, I just moved on). The second time through I started with 4, skipped 5 and couldn't get past 10. Somewhere at this point I noticed I could no longer connect to the drive via SSH or see it on my router's webUI.

I will attempt another flash drive once I get a hold of one. I have also tried different formatting programs to see if that was the issue (t'was not).

I also thought of trying to directly connect to the goflex home via usb-to-usb cable. Would something like this work?

I definitely should have kept a log but "barrelling" is an accurate way to describe how I approached this. Lesson learned. If any of my description makes you think "There is no possible way that is what happened." it is probably me remembering incorrectly.

Thanks again,

Daniel
July 23, 2012 03:18PM
Tried another flash drive (8gb sandisk cruzer). No changes. This one has a light on it which seems to be flashing at a slow pace (occasionally, it speeds up slightly).
July 24, 2012 05:40AM
Daniel,

If you have completed all the steps for Arch Linux ARM then reflashing stock FW most likely wont work. And you have flashed different uboot. Probably the easiest way to get it to boot again, without resorting to serial console is to create a fresh Arch Linux ARM rootfs on a flash drive. After you can boot with Arch, you can then install Debian if you want to.

Use your Ubuntu box and mount the flash drive. Suppose the flash drive was mounted as sdb1 under /media (depending on how many drives were already mounted, replace the appropriate drive letter if needed).

- Unmount the drive first:
umount /media/sdb1

(The following instruction is from the Arch Linux ARM website, with appropriate changes for a flash USB drive installation)

- Start fdisk to partition the USB drive:
/sbin/fdisk /dev/sdb1

At the fdisk prompt, delete old partitions and create a new one:
Type o. This will clear out any partitions on the drive.
Type p to list partitions. There should be no partitions left.
Now type n, then p for primary, 1 for the first partition on the drive, and then press ENTER, to accept the default value for the beginning of the partition.
Exit by typing w.

- Create the ext3 filesystem:
mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1
mkdir /media/alarm
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/alarm

- Download and install Arch Linux ARM:
cd /media/alarm
wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz
tar -xzvf ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz # This will take a long time
rm ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz
sync # Takes a while if you are using a flash drive

- Unmount the drive:
cd ..
umount /media/alarm

- remove the USB flash drive, plug into the GoFlex Home and power up.
July 24, 2012 03:30PM
Bohdi,

Thank you so much. Progress has been made! The green light is now steady and I can see it on the WebUI of my router. However what do I use in place of "ssh USERNAME_hipserv2_seagateplug_XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX@IP_ADDRESS"? I would assume that since it is no longer booting from seagate firmware this is no longer the sequence I would use. I cannot connect to the drive's WebUI to set up a username.

Many thanks, again!

--Daniel
July 24, 2012 03:46PM
It gives me "Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer" when I try to put in that ssh line. So, I'm guessing I'll need a different one
July 24, 2012 11:26PM
Daniel,

iirc, with ALARM fresh rootfs, the login is user: root, password: root. You can ssh in using root/root. After logged in, change root password to something else, and to verify to make sure the success installation:

do a reboot (warm start):

shutdown -r now

and then later shutdown:

shutdown -h now

then power up (cold start)

-bodhi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 11:47PM by bodhi.
July 25, 2012 02:56PM
Bodhi,

Looks like it is all installed. I got through the ArchlinuxARM instructions without much trouble. I ended up having to reboot the goflex with the USB inserted. Then, once a steady green light was established, I attached the HDD (leaving it on for the reboot resulted in me not being able to ssh). Having done so I continued with the ArchlinuxARM instructions changing any /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb1 (since the USB was now sda1). After I turned it off (at the end of the installation) I removed the USB. Still held a green light, Still showed up on the Router, Still could ssh. Awesome!

However, I still do not see the white light. The Goflex does not show up as a network drive. I can connect via ssh. I can see it on my router. I can probably add files via the terminal. But I don't see it come up as a network device. Also, no WebUI via the IP address

Thanks again,

Daniel

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 03:13PM by dannyboy2322.
July 26, 2012 12:19AM
Daniel,

That's the expected behavior. Once you installed new UBoot and boot with USB/HDD drive with ALARM on it, it's a basic Linux system you're running. So you will need to install SAMBA to make the shared folders appear in the local network.

You could now try the Debian rootfs provided by Dave (posted in this forum, username davygravy). Just create a USB stick in the same fashion that you've done for the Arch Linux rootfs. Except that the file system is EXT2 (iirc). You have rootfstype EXT3 in the UBoot environment now, so make sure that's consistent with the rootfs you are using (either change the UBoot env, or change the rootfs type so they match).

Since this is Debian forum, so from now on, if you stay with Arch Linux ARM then you can find the instruction for SAMBA, CUPS, web server,.... at Arch Linux ARM website. If you decide to run Debian, then I can help you setting up SAMBA. Also many others can advice on a whole bunch other issues you need. It's up to you, but I think Debian is better for learning Linux.

bodhi
fatal
December 25, 2014 08:11AM
Can you explain what is default ip address of goflaxhome to try to connect with ssh.
fatal
December 26, 2014 12:24AM
Please bodhi or dannyboy2322 send me a full procedure to recover my goflex home as I have ended the step of flash install and my goflex led shows steady green light. After that I can't see any webUI it is even not shows mac address of the goflex in arp table.
Thanks in advance.
December 26, 2014 02:22AM
fatal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please bodhi or dannyboy2322 send me a full
> procedure to recover my goflex home as I have
> ended the step of flash install and my goflex led
> shows steady green light. After that I can't see
> any webUI it is even not shows mac address of the
> goflex in arp table.
> Thanks in advance.

Do you have a log of what you did? there is not much information in your post for me to help. If you don't have the log, then please decribe in details:

- What were you running before? stock OS and U-Boot?
- What procedure did you use and run?
- Did you set up netconsole? and do you have serial console?

Steady green light is a very good sign.So most likely the rootfs could not be mounted .

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Fox
January 14, 2015 08:07AM
Good day!
Sorry for my bad English, please.
I have trouble with my GoFlex Home.
It work with U-Boot and Arch Linux, then the HDD is broken. I install new one, but get the blibking green led.
Try this:

bodhi Wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> If you have completed all the steps for Arch Linux
> ARM then reflashing stock FW most likely wont
> work. And you have flashed different uboot.
> Probably the easiest way to get it to boot again,
> without resorting to serial console is to create a
> fresh Arch Linux ARM rootfs on a flash drive.
> After you can boot with Arch, you can then install
> Debian if you want to.
>
> Use your Ubuntu box and mount the flash drive.
> Suppose the flash drive was mounted as sdb1 under
> /media (depending on how many drives were already
> mounted, replace the appropriate drive letter if
> needed).
>
> - Unmount the drive first:
> umount /media/sdb1
>
> (The following instruction is from the Arch Linux
> ARM website, with appropriate changes for a flash
> USB drive installation)
>
> - Start fdisk to partition the USB drive:
> /sbin/fdisk /dev/sdb1
>
> At the fdisk prompt, delete old partitions and
> create a new one:
> Type o. This will clear out any partitions on the
> drive.
> Type p to list partitions. There should be no
> partitions left.
> Now type n, then p for primary, 1 for the first
> partition on the drive, and then press ENTER, to
> accept the default value for the beginning of the
> partition.
> Exit by typing w.
>
> - Create the ext3 filesystem:
> mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1
> mkdir /media/alarm
> mount /dev/sdb1 /media/alarm
>
> - Download and install Arch Linux ARM:
> cd /media/alarm
> wget
> http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-la
> test.tar.gz
> tar -xzvf ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz #
> This will take a long time
> rm ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz
> sync # Takes a while if you are using a flash
> drive
>
> - Unmount the drive:
> cd ..
> umount /media/alarm
>
> - remove the USB flash drive, plug into the GoFlex
> Home and power up.

Now, green led shows steady green light, but I can't see GoFlex in my network, and can't see it in WebUI in my router in DHCP client list.
I have not serial console.
How setup network console on my GoFlex, or ssh connect to it?
May be, the GoFlex not get the IP adress from DHCP to my router?
Thanks.
January 14, 2015 11:55AM
Fox,

Not enough information in your post to give specific suggestion. However, let's try:

> I have trouble with my GoFlex Home.
> It work with U-Boot and Arch Linux, then the HDD
> is broken. I install new one, but get the blibking
> green led.

- Do you know which u-boot version you are running? if not, which procedure were used to install Arch LInux?
- Did you keep a listing of your u-boot envs? Post it here if you do.

> Now, green led shows steady green light, but I
> can't see GoFlex in my network, and can't see it
> in WebUI in my router in DHCP client list.

Steady green light is a good sign.

> I have not serial console.
> How setup network console on my GoFlex, or ssh
> connect to it?

It's too late for netconsole, it must be set up while you have serial console, or while logged in Arch.

> May be, the GoFlex not get the IP adress from DHCP
> to my router?

Most likely the rootfs could not be mounted.

Try this:

- Download Debian rootfs 3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2 (updated 02 Sept 2014) from my kernel thread, and put it on a USB thumb drive following the instruction,
- unplug the HDD from the GFHome, put the USB thumb drive in and boot. Once you can boot into Debian, netconsole can be set up, then it will be a little easier to see what's going on.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Fox
January 16, 2015 12:30AM
Good day, bodhi. Thank's for help.

>- Do you know which u-boot version you are running? if not, which procedure were used to install Arch LInux?
>- Did you keep a listing of your u-boot envs? Post it here if you do.

I don't know u-boot version. I install ArchLinux to it about 1 year ago, to this instruction. http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-goflex-home

Great!
It's ok, with your rootfs the GoFlex is loading, and I can SSH into it.
F
January 16, 2015 02:08AM
It's OK, big thank's to bodhi!
I load my GoFlex with Debian rootfs 3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2, then reflash u-boot:
wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/armv5te/boot/goflexhome/goflexhome.sh 
chmod +x goflexhome.sh
./goflexhome.sh

Then I make another USB stick with Ext3 filesystem and labeled "alarm" at my Ubuntu PC (I use GParted for this, not console fdisk), and install ArchLinux on it:
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/alarm 
cd /media/alarm
wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-kirkwood-latest.tar.gz
tar -xzvf ArchLinuxARM-kirkwood-latest.tar.gz
sync
Insert this flash in my GoFlex ang boot it. All OK!
tucansam
January 28, 2015 03:02AM
I suppose this might be a good place to ask for help also... My problem is a little different.

GoFlex Home gets an IP address from my pfsense machine, and I can ping it. I can even ssh into it. But I can't connect on port 80 with telnet/putty or a web browser. Dashboard doesn't work either. For ssh, I can type "root" and get the password prompt, of course I have no idea what it is since the device is new-in-box. I get a steady green and a steady white LED with a drive connected, ping works, nothing else does.

On a whim I used the aforementioned link to reflash with Seagate software in an attempt to run a clean install. 15 minutes into the procedure and I still have a flashing green LED. No idea if it took the image off the USB stick or not, the blinking LED is mocking me now.

No idea how to get into this device.

Any help would be appreciated.
January 28, 2015 06:02AM
See this Arch installation page for information about how to get into the box with SSH through the device product key:
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-goflex-home

If the above does not work, you can also SSH in and try these:

user: root
password: ceadmin
or
passowrd: stxadmin

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 06:02AM by bodhi.
tucansam
January 28, 2015 03:59PM
Thank you for your reply.

Prior to seeing your reply, I had used the USB stick method to try to re-flash with the latest Seagate software (power on holding down reset, wait for white LED). Now when I turn the device on, the green LED blinks quickly, forever. Nothing else happens, at all. Appears I have bricked it.
January 28, 2015 04:15PM
tucansam Wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Prior to seeing your reply, I had used the USB
> stick method to try to re-flash with the latest
> Seagate software (power on holding down reset,
> wait for white LED). Now when I turn the device
> on, the green LED blinks quickly, forever.
> Nothing else happens, at all. Appears I have
> bricked it.

If indeed you have reflashed to factory, got to the white LED successfully, and still cant boot, then it does seem like you need to connect serial console to unbrick it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.