Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OWFSPlug : 1-Wire File System + Motion Detection Software in a NAND Package

Posted by davygravy 
OWFSPlug : 1-Wire File System + Motion Detection Software in a NAND Package
January 01, 2013 08:36PM
Its taken me a week or so, but I've nearly got it completed... all in NAND flash... all built with Buildroot...
  • 1-Wire File System : Also known as OWFS, it allows one to seamlessly attach and monitor Dallas/Maxim sensors and instruments, such as temperature, humidity, count/quantity, air pressure, windspeed, etc. One can also write it to an LCD.
  • Temploggerd : A simple daemon that polls OWFS data and formats it to publish on an interactive web page.
  • Motion : Records images from a (web)cam, examines them for changes, and detects motion. Very configurable and customizable, can be controlled remotely via a separate webpage.
  • lighttpd : serve up the data and images from the items above.

The current setup has www in /tmp so that things can be collected without messing w/ the UBIFS partition - with an option for periodically syncing the contents to a backup dir/site.

=====================================================

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2013 08:39PM by davygravy.
That's really sweet! I look forward to your completed write up.
Re: OWFSPlug : 1-Wire File System + Motion Detection Software in a NAND Package
January 27, 2013 08:03PM
right now I'm putting some extra stuff in for time-lapse recording ... ffmpeg has been notoriously API-unstable over the years, and so motion has stuck w/ an older version of ffmpeg (as a build requirement) that will no longer builld on Buildroot, so I've found an indirect way around that - and included the most recent h.264 underpinnings that produce a high quality timelapse movie. Will post the source when done.

April 07, 2013 07:36PM
I finally got around to committing this to git, and now hosted on github.com

https://github.com/davygravy/owfsplug

April 07, 2013 08:23PM
Thanks for this. Any chance you could provide a tarball, or point me to a guide for compiling from git?
April 11, 2013 08:13PM
@bitz: I will try to post a tarball ASAP.

Be aware that what I post would be bootable, but would need some editting to set up things like where you want to stop the images, how you'd want to process them with the embedded ffmpeg (which is built into the image).

April 11, 2013 09:07PM
davygravy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @bitz: I will try to post a tarball ASAP.
>
> Be aware that what I post would be bootable, but
> would need some editting to set up things like
> where you want to stop the images, how you'd want
> to process them with the embedded ffmpeg (which is
> built into the image).

Thanks, I am looking forward to it. Setting up motion should be no problem
April 13, 2013 07:06PM
kk, bitz. I've uploaded an old tarball here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1015928/Kirkwood/OWFSplug/OWFSplug-rootfs.tar ... mind you, this may be "roughly hewn" but should be bootable on a USB stick.

I'm currently tidying up my git repo, adding in some needed items and culling out the cruft...

https://github.com/davygravy/owfsplug

The README shows the basics....

Will post a NAND image when I'm satisfied w/ it. If you are interest and know git, you can propose commits via Github.

April 13, 2013 09:48PM
Much thanks, I can't wait to play around with this. I wold be useless at helping with git, but have several dockstars, pogos, a goflex and some pi's to play with if you needed any testing done. I have been looking at your weather station the last few days and convincing myself that it would be a fun project to set one up, so this will definitely see some use.
April 14, 2013 07:35PM
Something to note... the tarball I posted is USB rootfs only... I'm doing some final touches now on what I've got in git, and if it boots and functions correctly, I'll build UBIFS and kernel bins for flashing.

April 16, 2013 07:33PM
good to know
April 20, 2013 11:46PM
OK, this is pretty much finished now. A lot closer to working out of the box.

The rootfs.tar tarball is for a USB pendrive. Once booted, that rootfs is a working OWFSplug system, but also it has the img files for flashing it to NAND. AFAIK, the only adjustments needed would be to set up the device IDs of the 1-Wire sensors, change (if necessary) the motion-usbcamera-modules in /etc ... ? Maybe the timezone in /etc/TZ.

Works without or with an attached USB drive, but I suggest using a USB drive, as /tmp will fill up quickly w/ images, movies and rrdb database files.

April 25, 2013 08:54PM
OK, finally had some time to sit down and flash it to one of my plugs, up and running. Tomorrow hopefully I will have time to tweak motion a little, and research some 1-wire devices to get a little weather station going. Finally have motion running on a dock that will survive a power outage! Thank you sir, great work!
April 27, 2013 08:18AM
IIRC Maxim IC has some sort of offer where they'll send you a limited grab bag of sensors

I got enough sensors to play with for free.

The usb adaptor can be had for $10 or so if you watch ebay.

April 29, 2013 08:46AM
Looks like Maxim is no longer producing the lightning detector, can be had from hobby-boards, but Maxim still does sample requests, so I can at least get temp and humidity sensors to play with. Thanks for suggesting, I have requested samples from them before when I was trying to teach myself electronics, and forgot that they did that.

So far everything is going well on my plug. Had some issues mounting my Samba share for the images at first, fstab wouldn't read from a credentials file, or wait for the network to come up, I even started pulling from git to try and add samba hoping something in smbcient would fix it but went with an if-up.d script instead (at least now I know how to pull from git, and that buildroot stuff is pretty cool, I wonder what the space restraints on mtd1 are for adding packages).
May 10, 2013 01:48PM
I decided that I wanted to add a wifi stick to my plug while waiting for my sensors to come in. Looks like I will have to add the necessary tools to the image with buildroot, and make a driver for my realtek rtl8188cus module. So I started by grabbing the source for the drivers from realtek.com and added some lines for the dockstar
CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM_926T = y
and
ifeq ($(CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM_926T),y)
EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DCONFIG_LITTLE_ENDIAN
ARCH := arm
CROSS_COMPILE := /tmp/owfsplug/output/host/usr/bin/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgneabi
KVER := 3.2.7
KSRC := /tmp/owfsplug/output/build/buildroot-config
endif
and I get the errors
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/owfsplug/output/build/buildroot-config'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/owfsplug/output/build/buildroot-config'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I really think I may be out of my league here, but I would appreciate some guidance if you had any.
May 28, 2013 05:42PM
Figured it out, spent a week reading up on using make, buildroot, and compiling the realtek drivers, most of my help came from the ArmadeuS Project wiki here had to make a new image with things like wpa_supplicant and wireless tools, add some driver modules to the kernel, and make a few changes to the config, then I could compile the wireless driver. My little dockstar is currently residing in a weatherproof camera enclosure outside my barn, connected to wifi, and recording motion to an old spare ide SSD I had sitting around. I never received my Maxim boards, so I'm going to order some more "samples", but so far I couldn't be happier, thanks for all the great work!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.