Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wear Leveling? Filesystems?

Posted by bandan 
Wear Leveling? Filesystems?
October 06, 2010 01:02PM
I've got one question, does the built in nand support wear leveling? If not, wouldn't it make sense to use a filesystem designed for flash devices? jffs or somthing like that?
I also read abaout dead blocks on the nand, how do different filesystems(ext2/4) treat these?

bandan
ecc
Re: Wear Leveling? Filesystems?
October 06, 2010 08:37PM
bandan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got one question, does the built in nand support wear leveling?

No.

> If not, wouldn't it make sense to use a filesystem designed for flash devices? jffs or somthing like that?

That's why Jeff's recovery system, and the installation of Debian on internal NAND, use ubifs. Ubifs was designed to be a successor to jffs2.

> I also read abaout dead blocks on the nand, how do different filesystems(ext2/4) treat these?

They wouldn't see them. Filesystems like ext2 etc. require a block device. The NAND flash is a "memory technology device" (/dev/mtdN). There is a simple-minded block layer (/dev/mtdblockN), but it would be a Bad Idea to run a traditional filesystem on top, because there would be no wear-leveling or recovery from bad blocks.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.