Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug Pink ... UBOOT won't boot Debian from USB

Posted by Txtag1 
Pogoplug Pink ... UBOOT won't boot Debian from USB
September 30, 2011 09:26PM
Greetings,

I have confirmed my UBOOT is the current version.
## Valid uBoot detected: [dockstar jeff-2010-10-23-current ebd566de30c6521e65fb1255415c037f pogov1 jeff-2010-10-23-current] ## The newest uBoot is already installed on mtd0. You are already running the latest uBoot. Would you like to reset the uBoot environment? [N/y]

AND

successfully installed Debian to a usb stick however once instructed to reboot the system I cannon get to boot into Debian....

It takes a while and my USB flashes a lot then eventually it ends up back to pogo...

Pogoplug:~$ uname -a
Linux Pogoplug 2.6.22.18 #44 Mon Aug 10 12:57:36 PDT 2009 armv5tejl unknown Pogoplug:~$

Any ideas what I need to adjust....

Thanks, TAG
Re: Pogoplug Pink ... UBOOT won't boot Debian from USB
September 30, 2011 10:09PM
One other thing. On a reboot (or power up) it takes quite a while for the green light on the front of my pink to come on and allow me to log in. It goes straight to the pogo os.....

T
rat
October 02, 2011 07:59AM
You could simply have a USB stick that doesn't behave well when it comes to booting. Confirm the stick you installed Debian onto isn't one of the known problem brands mentioned in this thread: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1915

Most often, Kingston, Patriot and Verbatim and other off brands like Transcend tend to have the most issues.
October 07, 2011 07:02PM
Tnx for the note! I checked and have installed it on 3 now. Just went out and bought a sandisk cruzer as it was one that worked consistently. Still not working. It takes a very long time to boot then ends back up at pogo Linux????

Any other ideas?
October 08, 2011 01:07PM
Hmmm... I'll tell you that I saw the same problem. My fix was to try formatting the USB flash drive first in Ubuntu, and then make sure that there is a viable filesystem (ext3) on it. I am thinking that in the directions that I followed here in the forum, there was no (explicit) mention of creating the filesystem - only the partitioning via fdisk was mentioned.

So, I first used fdisk, and then mkfs.ext3. I also used mkswap.

hth,

davy
October 08, 2011 01:21PM
I guess the only way to find out what goes wrong, is to use netconsole.
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14,14
This will allow you to monitor the boot process live.
davygravy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm... I'll tell you that I saw the same
> problem. My fix was to try formatting the USB
> flash drive first in Ubuntu, and then make sure
> that there is a viable filesystem (ext3) on it. I
> am thinking that in the directions that I followed
> here in the forum, there was no (explicit) mention
> of creating the filesystem - only the partitioning
> via fdisk was mentioned.
>
> So, I first used fdisk, and then mkfs.ext3. I
> also used mkswap.
>
> hth,
>
> davy

The Install script always automatically creates an ext2 filesystem on the first partition of the USB stick.

OP, are you sure you've flagged the first partition as bootable in fdisk?
rat
November 16, 2011 01:45PM
qrn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Install script always automatically creates an
> ext2 filesystem on the first partition of the USB
> stick.
>
> OP, are you sure you've flagged the first
> partition as bootable in fdisk?

Making bootable is not required in Linux. Just what the partitions are flagged as.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.