Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2017.07-2023.04 U-Boot Kirkwood - GoFlexNet, GoFlexHome, PogoE02, Dockstar, iConnect, NetgearStora, PogoV4/Mobile, Sheevaplug, NSA325, NSA320, NSA310S, NSA320S, NSA310, HP T5325, Dreamplug

Posted by bodhi 
I started with a virgin Pogoplug E02. After I created /etc/fw_env.config, fw_printenv gave a CRC error. I then found in another thread that the start address should be 0xa0000 for default u-boot, not 0xc0000, so changed it and got fw_env.config to work. I also validated a few of those (e.g., ethaddr). Next, I ran nanddump which has the length specified as 0x80000 and I am wondering if it is same for all models or some adjustment is needed. Also, do I change /etc/fw_env.config back to 0xc0000 before I proceed with the rest of the steps or do I change it after the first reboot?
haridsv,

> ). Next, I ran nanddump which has the length speci
> fied as 0x80000 and I am wondering if it is same f
> or all models or some adjustment is needed.

All of the Kirkwood boxes released in this thread is the same. Except where stated otherwise (i.e. HP T5325 box).

> Also,
> do I change /etc/fw_env.config back to 0xc0000 bef
> ore I proceed with the rest of the steps or do I c
> hange it after the first reboot?

After reboot is fine. Since the envs will be accessed correctly during boot with new u-boot. And Debian does not really use it, until you set it up later.

And please continue posting in your original thread, if you have question or problems during boot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Last post moved here:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,39859

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Last post moved here:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,39894

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
I've uploaded 2017.07-tld-1 U-Boot images. Please see 1st post for download link.

New/updated in 2017.07-tld-1 version:

- Rebase u-boot code to track mainline 2017.07.
- Incorporated patch to fix "EHCI timed out on TD" error with USB drives.
- Switched the MMC driver to use mainline version for Pogo V4/Mobile and Sheevaplug.
- Improve internal defautl envs.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 11:17PM by bodhi.
Did you include the pull request that added MMC support to SheevaPlug?
Hi Ray,

First, thanks for your works!

> Did you include the pull request that added MMC
> support to SheevaPlug?

No, I did not. Because I've waited too long to rebase to 2017.07, I've found that in this mainline version there is a better MMC driver that works for all Kirkwood and MVEBU. So I have removed the patched MMC driver, and now use the mainline driver for Pogo V4 and Sheevaplug boxes.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
I've pushed the source code to GitHub

1. U-Boot source code at GitHub (latest branch 2017.07-kirkwood-tld-1 and tag v2017.07-kirkwood-tld-1)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
I've updated the Sheevaplug to latest version 2017.07-tld-2. Please see 1st post for updated download link

Note: this Sheevaplug patch has not been pushed to GitHub yet.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then for all boxes, restore these 2 envs using the saved envs text in step c (replace xxx with the real saved values)
>
> fw_setenv mtdparts 'xxxxxxxxx'
> fw_setenv ethaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
>
>
Hello Bodhi,

Currently, I am trying to flash your uboot onto my un-used Seagate Dockstar device that has been flashed with another 3rd-party u-boot about 5 years ago. I hope you can help me to clarify the above statement. Is the xxxxxxxxx the backup file mtd0 dumped with nanddump as shown below?
nanddump --noecc --omitoob -l 0x80000 -f mtd0 /dev/mtd0
habibie,

> > fw_setenv mtdparts 'xxxxxxxxx'
> > fw_setenv ethaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
> >

> above statement. Is the xxxxxxxxx the
> backup file mtd0 dumped with nanddump as
> shown below?
>
nanddump --noecc --omitoob -l 0x80000 -f
> mtd0 /dev/mtd0

No. It is the mtdparts definition which is different for various Kirkwood boxes.

For example,

For the Dockstar mtdparts would be
mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
For the Pogo V4 mtdparts would be
mtdparts=orion_nand:2M(u-boot),3M(uImage),3M(uImage2),8M(failsafe),112M(root)

So for your Dockstar, the command is (note that the prefix mtdparts= is required, not a typo):
fw_setenv mtdparts 'mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)'

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi Wrote:
> So for your Dockstar, the command is (note that the prefix mtdparts= is required, not a typo):
>
fw_setenv mtdparts 'mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)'
>
Thank you Bodhi.
doblecero,

Please continue to post after I've merged your post to a different thread.

This thread is not appropriate to get help with problem.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
A quick question: after installing this u-boot on a Zyxel NSA325, is it still possible to boot the stock OS? Or do you have to restore the backup of mtd0?
Hi sebr,

> A quick question: after installing this u-boot on
> a Zyxel NSA325, is it still possible to boot the
> stock OS? Or do you have to restore the backup of
> mtd0?

No, you can no longer boot stock OS after install this new u-boot. You have to restore mtd0 to do that.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Last post moved here:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,55984

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
I've moved herb's posts to its own topic below.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
herb,

I've moved your posts to the thread below. Next time, please post installation problem in a new thread.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 03:52PM by bodhi.
Please create new thread in U-boot subforum for problem or question with the installation.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 03:57AM by bodhi.
FYI.

I have made some correction in the installation instruction regarding uEnv.txt loading in section 8.e.3

8. Flashing default u-boot envs image (if you are upgrading from 2016.05-tld-1 u-boot, you can skip this step 8).

e.3 uEnv.txt envs correction (optional):

These envs are important to be set if you plan to use uEnv.txt (see section C).

fw_setenv uenv_init_devices 'echo Initializing devices...; setenv init_usb "usb start";  setenv init_ide "ide reset";  setenv init_mmc "mmc rescan"; for devtype in $devices; do run init_$devtype; done'
fw_setenv uenv_read 'echo Loading envs from $device_type $disk_number...; if load $device_type  $disk_number:1 $uenv_addr /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; echo ... envs loaded; fi'
fw_setenv uenv_load 'run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices; do for disknum in $disks; do if test $uenv_loaded -eq 0; then setenv device_type $devtype; setenv disk_number $disknum; run uenv_read; fi; done; done;'
fw_setenv uenv_read_disk

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Bodhi,

Thank you.
habibie Wrote:
> Bodhi,
>
> Thank you.

You're welcome! IIRC, you did try to use uEnv.txt for some boot configuration setup? If you still need to do that, you could try again and let me know.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Bodhi,
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> You're welcome! IIRC, you did try to use uEnv.txt for some boot configuration setup? If you still need to do that, you could try again and let me know.
>
I have two units of a Seagate GoFLEX Home that I bought from eBay under US $10/each.

When I received my 1st Seagate GoFLEX Home with its original 1 TB SATA HDD (5400 RPM), it booted up with its LED red flashing and I was able to recover it after some minor few tweaks on its uEnv.txt file, IIRC. The previous owner had updated its original u-boot with the one from ARCH and it is currently still up running with an old version of OpenWRT OS. I unsuccessfully upgrade to the latest OpenWRT OS (I believe this has something to do with DTB that the ARCH u-boot on this device doesn't support). I believe your u-boot for this platform has a support for DTB. So, one of these days I may just upgrade its current u-boot with yours so that it will run new versions of OpenWRT OS. BTW, speaking about u-boot, have you updated your u-boot for Pogoplug Pro to support DTB?

Since I acquired my 2nd Seagate GoFLEX Home from eBay (IIRC about 3 years ago), I had flashed its original u-boot with your u-boot and its current configuration that uses uEnv.txt works OK since day one.

The last time when I tried to open up my GoFLEX Home unit, I broke its ON/OFF button. Since then, I never bother trying to open up the device again to access its serial console. As such, I am not brave enough to modify its current environment settings. I reckon you do know the old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
All,

I have made some correction in the installation instruction regarding uEnv.txt loading in section 8.e.3.

8. Flashing default u-boot envs image (if you are upgrading from 2016.05-tld-1 u-boot, you can skip this step 8).

e.3 uEnv.txt envs correction (optional):

These envs are important to be set if you plan to use uEnv.txt (see section C).

fw_setenv uenv_init_devices 'echo Initializing devices...; setenv init_usb "usb start";  setenv init_ide "ide reset";  setenv init_mmc "mmc rescan"; for devtype in $devices; do run init_$devtype; done'
fw_setenv uenv_read 'echo Loading envs from $device_type $disk_number...; if load $device_type  $disk_number:1 $uenv_addr /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; echo ... envs loaded; fi'
fw_setenv uenv_load 'run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices; do for disknum in $disks; do if test $uenv_loaded -eq 0; then setenv device_type $devtype; setenv disk_number $disknum; run uenv_read; fi; done; done;'
fw_setenv uenv_read_disk

If you try these changes in uEnv.txt in your boot configuration, please let me now if there is any problem. And create a new u-boot thread for further discussion!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 08:11AM by bodhi.
This thread is temporarily closed until the next release.

Please create a new thread for installation problem.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 03:44AM by bodhi.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.