steam link hacks

Posted by feas 
Re: steam link hacks
November 21, 2018 09:22PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> habibie.
>
> > Would it be possible for you to take the snapshot of the serial port you want to solder and post
> it here?
>
> daviddyer already did and posted that in this thread. He did a really good job :) I downloaded that pic to add to my Steamlink notes.
>
> https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?8,46664,51704#msg-51704
>
Bodhi, thank you.
November 22, 2018 11:00AM
November 22, 2018 11:40AM
$8 Shipping kills the deal...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2018 12:24PM by daviddyer.
November 24, 2018 07:09PM
I've opened my first steam link, there is actually alot of room inside to fit a serial to usb adapter. The CP2102 boards with micro USB are going to arrive in a few days for me to soder.
kas940k
February 25, 2019 07:11AM
Any progress?
February 27, 2019 11:08AM
I wonder the same... I might receive one extra steam link in a week so could wire it to a serial.

The help from bodhi for my SilverStore Nas was a blessing. The small box now is running several services including tvheadend, transmission, opemvpn and pihole for a couple of months.

---------------------------------

Regards,
garagoyun
mh
March 09, 2019 01:21PM
any updates ? :)
mh
March 11, 2019 08:41AM
https://comsecuris.com/slides/recon2016-breaking_band.pdf

eigentlich eine offene Türe beim Steam Link
mh
March 11, 2019 08:42AM
March 14, 2019 10:21PM
mh Wrote:
> sorry falscher Link
> https://2018.zeronights.ru/wp-content/uploads/materials/19-Researching-Marvell-Avastar-Wi-Fi.pdf

That was a very informative post, thanks mh!

I’ve fried my Steamlink :) getting another to test.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 15, 2019 06:53AM
bodhi Wrote:
> mh Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > sorry falscher Link
> >
> https://2018.zeronights.ru/wp-content/uploads/materials/19-Researching-Marvell-Avastar-Wi-Fi.pdf
>
> That was a very informative post, thanks mh!
>
> I’ve fried my Steamlink :) getting another to test.

I just hope it all goes well.
March 15, 2019 10:11AM
> I just hope it all goes well.

Thanks habibie! "fried" was a metaphor only :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
cmplx
May 24, 2019 03:58PM
i dumped the filesystem recently and found the memory map of the nand which is as follows:
console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mtdblock5 rootfstype=yaffs2 ro root_part_name=rootfs init=/sbin/init mtdparts=mv_nand:1M(block0),8M(bootloader),11M(env),512M(sysconf),32M(factory_setting),32M(bootimgs),128M(recovery),32M(fts),384M(factory),1G(rootfs),1924M(cache),8M(bbt)

i hope that helps somewhat
May 28, 2019 06:49AM
It's great to see that someone is still working on this box. There are many idling, would be nice if we could eventually crack them. Thanks for posting.

cmplx Wrote:
> i dumped the filesystem recently and found the
> memory map of the nand which is as follows:
>
> console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mtdblock5
> rootfstype=yaffs2 ro root_part_name=rootfs
> init=/sbin/init
> mtdparts=mv_nand:1M(block0),8M(bootloader),11M(env),512M(sysconf),32M(factory_setting),32M(bootimgs),128M(recovery),32M(fts),384M(factory),1G(rootfs),1924M(cache),8M(bbt)
>
>
> i hope that helps somewhat
May 28, 2019 07:13AM
AngryCoder Wrote:
> It's great to see that someone is still working on this box.
>
I just hope Bodhi will have sometimes to work on it with the above information.
w1p3r
October 24, 2019 05:43AM
How did you go about dumping? with the WiFi RCE ?
March 18, 2020 07:13AM
This post shows how to configure and use kexec on a steam.link system. I don't really know much of this and what it can do. However, I hope someone here will be able to make use of it.
March 22, 2020 07:23AM
habibie Wrote:
> This
> post
> shows how to configure and use kexec on a
> steam.link system. I don't really know much of
> this and what it can do. However, I hope someone
> here will be able to make use of it.

I know this one, this document exists for quite a time now. It is a way how to reuse the Steam Link, but once you turn it off, you will have to manually perform all the steps again. So it will never really be suitable for a stable use, I think.

I gave up on the idea of using the Steam Link like we use the Pogo Plug back then. I grabbed 6 when Valve dump-sold them. I even sent one on my own expense to Slovakia to a guy on the openwrt forum who said he would try to work on it. Seems like he tried but failed to achieve anything. I opened one myself to look for the serial headers, found them with the help of some page on the net, but didn't solder any pins on them yet. The remaining 4 were mint, still in unopened box, I sold them on craigslist for 90€. Maybe I will end up putting the last one back together, looking for all the stuff that came with it and put it back in the box and sell it for 10€.
Too bad... could have been a nice cluster of compact and good looking linux minions - far better looking than anything you could achieve for that price with RPis.
peter54
May 12, 2020 05:33PM
i dont want to give up the link just yet i'll soon try to explore the system soon
May 13, 2020 06:20AM
peter54 Wrote:
> i dont want to give up the link just yet i'll soon try to explore the system soon
>
TBH, I really don't understand the above statement. What exactly did you mean by to give up the link?
May 13, 2020 05:02PM
habibie,

peter54 meant "to give up the Steamlink".

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 14, 2020 07:35AM
bodhi Wrote:
> habibie,
>
> peter54 meant "to give up the Steamlink".
>
Thank you, Bohdi.
SeppNel
December 30, 2020 05:02AM
Hi, any news regarding the steam link?

I am succesfully running a server with stock os but it would be nice if we could install another distro on it. Also, has anybody figured out how to stop it from factory resetting when steamlink.crashcounter > 3 or found where this is stored in the filesystem? I manually run "fts-set steamlink.crashcounter 0" every now and then to reset it but is kind of a pain.
December 30, 2020 06:37AM
SeppNel Wrote:
> I manually run "fts-set steamlink.crashcounter 0" every now and then to reset it but is kind of a pain.
>
Perhaps, you can let cron daemon perform this manual task at some predetermined interval?
SeppNel
December 31, 2020 04:04AM
Hi habibie,

Thanks, I did not end up using cron but you gave me an idea. I run this:
(sleep 60
fts-set steamlink.crashcounter 0) &
At the end in my rc.local so it waits 1 minute and then runs it, this lets me factory reset the link in case I break something.
Thank you.
December 31, 2020 06:41AM
SeppNel Wrote:
> Hi habibie,
>
> Thanks, I did not end up using cron but you gave me an idea. I run this:
>
> (sleep 60 fts-set steamlink.crashcounter 0) &
>
> At the end in my rc.local so it waits 1 minute and then runs it, this lets me factory reset the link in case I break something.
> Thank you.
>
You are welcome. BTW, I think you can run the above script using the cron, too.
JEyton
January 07, 2021 09:53AM
Forgive my ignorance, I stumbled upon this thread looking for some way to possibly get android running on my steamlink (it just sits in a box right now). I have pretty much given up on that concept for the time being but was greatly intruiged by all the comments here. It struck me, is it not possibly to simply download files or add repositories to the steamlink and compile a full fledged OS on the internal storage? It sounds like there is some factory reset that can occurr with crashes, and steam updates would also break it. I assume steam updates are not much of a thing any more with this device being non-supported for a couple years now.
May 17, 2021 06:53AM
Today, I stumbled upon this Steam Controller support? post in CoreELEC forum and there was a succinct response pointing to LibreELEC. I don't know if this makes any sense and/or useful to get our Steam Link working with debian Linux or not.
May 17, 2021 04:27PM
habibie,

That's the game controller (like a remote control), not the box. Usually Kodi distros like the LibreELEC try to support all kind of remote controls.

For example, I'm pretty sure the LibreELEC has support for RC6 remote control, which is the most popular one for HTPCs, since it has been supported in Windows boxes from day one. IIRC, its name is eHome.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 17, 2021 09:39PM
Bodhi,

You are right. I am sorry about that.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.